Reply To: Bug: minimal number of typed characters to trigger live search

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Bug: minimal number of typed characters to trigger live search Reply To: Bug: minimal number of typed characters to trigger live search

Ernest Marcinko
Keymaster

It won't stop bots from search abuse, as they usually don't use the actual form to make an ajax call. Almost all of them work from a command line or as a tool, and (pre-recorded) requests are made as a GET or POST command, with fake headers. They can repeat it a billion times if they want, without visiting your site. This is unpreventable and undetectable with a front-end script, as it's not even executed.

Client site script limits only stop regular users (unfortunately they are not the ones abusing), it's more of a cosmetic/usability issue – as it is very easy to lift these limits from the console, if an advanced user wants to be abusive.

The best thing to do is to have a firewall of some sort to filter abusive bot IPs. I can recommend cloudflare, so far in 5 years I have not experienced any kind of abuse whatsoever.

Best,
Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)