Filter by Tags and Filter Search Results Error

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Filter by Tags and Filter Search Results Error

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    groovymarci
    groovymarci
    Participant

HI there,

1. First question: I have installed the search bar on the resources page and I just want to add the one filter box titled “Choose Topic”. The topics are based on the post tags (NOT CATEGORIES). When I go to the Front-end Search Settings > Post Tags, I selected “All Tags”, but not all tags are showing up, only 30 are showing up in the drop-down when I have 72 tags. I initially wanted to add “Selected Tags” but when I add the specific tag in the search box on the Front-end Search Settings > Post Tags > Selected Tags, it is not showing all the tags I want only some, it’s not recognizing the remaining 42 tags that I have in the post section of WordPress admin. Is this because some of the 72 tags are not attached to any content yet and ONLY adde din the WordPress Admin > Tags section? Is there a setting on your plugin where it can recognize all tags regardless of if that tag is attached to a specific piece of content yet?

2. Second question: when i test the search results using the search bar alone (and not the filters) it provides the correct results, but when I don’t add anything to the search bar and ONLY use the filter on the front-end to search for one of the tags that are called “Choose a Topic” on the front-end, it doesn’t effect the search results AT ALL. So it’s as if the filter dropdown is not having ANY effects on what it searching for in the database. It should be searching form the post tags and any related content in the excerpt of article content, if there is any.

Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. It is by design as empty tags would not return anything. The only way to change that is by editing the code. I can take a look if you want and let you know, there might be a hook or similar, but I’m not a 100% sure.

2. The most likely cause can be taxonomy term inclusions. Can you check if you have anything enabled in that area? Those override the filters, so it could explain the issue.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

groovymarci
    groovymarci
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your response.

1. It makes more sense to have the filter box not result with any tags that’s not attached to any content. But shouldn’t that t be the same thing with the search bar? Right now it is resulting in empty tags. For example if you type the word “foundation” in the search bar, it has a result but then when you click that result to open the page, it finds no content. So why is the search bar showing results that have no content but the filter search box is not? Also, the default search terms that show up automatically below the search bar are not all attached to content either.

1.a. Also in the results expanded page, the title bar and breadcrumbs are not correct. For example I created a test post titled “Marci Test” with the category: “Webinar” and the tag: “Marci”. When you type in Marci in the search bar, the post page results and then click open the post expanded page and the title and breadcrumb say: “Articles Tagged with: marci” then the breadcrumb is “Home / Blog Archives”. This is not an article and it is not from Blog Archives. It should say: “Webinar tagged with marci” and the breadcrumb should say: “Home / Webinars”. Why is this not working correctly?

2. The Taxonomy Term inclusions is not activated, so why is the filter box not returning the correct results of what’s being selected in the drop-down filter box?

Thanks in advance for your prompt response!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. You can actually turn that off here. It was added because some users wanted to make redirections from empty tag permalinks to different pages. It was requested many times, so we added it as a feature.

The archive page breadcrumb and layout is controlled by the theme. All the plugin does in this case is display the “marci” tag and the link to that archive page, which is requested from WordPress core. There is probably a way to change that text somewhere in the theme settings, usually most modern themes have a customizer feature where you can change the archive breadcrumbs and the text as well.

2. I just logged in to check, it seems to be working all right on my end. I only see the tagged posts in the results, for example: https://i.imgur.com/mehGTNV.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

groovymarci
    groovymarci
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

My only question now is regarding #2 – what I meant was that when I search from the filter drop-down box ONLY (and put nothing in the actual search box), it results with my requested drop-down item, PLUS a whole bunch of other items that do not have anything to do with the selected drop-down term of “Marci”. Why is it resulting in all the other items when they have NOTHING to do with the selected drop-down term of “Marci”? How do I get the filter box to result with ONLY terms related to “Marci” (like the search bar does)?

Thanks again!

groovymarci
    groovymarci
    Participant

I think it’s now working. I changed some more of the settings and now it looks like the search bar AND the filter box both only provide actual content from the title and/or tag search.

Thanks again for your help!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh okay, great 🙂

I will keep this topic open in case.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.