3 Questions on search query optimisation

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support 3 Questions on search query optimisation

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 4 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    etackle67
    etackle67
    Participant

Hi,

Please can you assist in improving my customers experience with the following queries..

1. One of my vendors has listed variable products on Tshirts with a number of different options. When a customer enters a search for his Tshirts all the variations show in the search. Is there a way of just the main search result to appear and not the others?

2. For some reason when this same customer has started listing his Tshirts, no pictures now appear as thumnails in the search, is there a reason for this?

3. Is there a way of the plugin guessing a keyword based on the majority of the search being typed, e.g. if a vendors product title is Tshirts, a result appears for Tshirt and vice versa?

Many Thanks for your help

James

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi James,

1. Make sure that only the “product” custom post type is selected under the General Options -> Sources panel, and not “product_variation”: https://i.imgur.com/Y7vzqzg.png
    That will eleminate displaying product variations as results.

2. The only reason I can see is that probably the images were not uploaded/added correctly. The plugin requests the images from WooCommerce, and if it works on other products, then the issue is most likely with those products.

3. Yes, by partial/fuzzy matching. You can change that via the search keyword logic settings.
    Depending on how strict you want the results, and if you want a primar/secondary logic combination, you can try:
    – AND with exact keyword matches (primary) + AND (secondary)
    – AND with exact keyword matches (primary) + OR (secondary)
    ..those logic combinations usually work quite well.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

etackle67
    etackle67
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Many thanks for your reply… A couple more questions if you dont mind…

1. Is it possible to have the tag search returns underneath the searches with thumbnails at all as an example in the pic here..
    https://prnt.sc/rzebk4

2. In determining Relevancy – Can the returned results be listed a) listings that include 3 matched keywords, then underneath b) 2 matched keywords then lastly c) 1 matched keyword?

3. One of my vendors has asked me the following question that I cannot answer, is this possible at all?…..

For internal search purposes, (ie website not Google), Tags should be treated as a simple extension of the Title – not as a separate secondary search function.
    This would allow titles to be brief and very descriptive (focused) which (a) looks neater and (b) is Google Friendly.
    At present I still include essential (but repetitive) keywords in my title.. ie tshirt tee shirt, because I need them to be picked up in the primary search.

Kind Regards
    James

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

You are very welcome.

1. Yes, you can change the mixed results order here. You want to drag the “terms” below “post_page_cpt”.

2. Well, sort of – but the relevance calculation is a bit more complicated than that. First, you probably want to try the index table engine, it is a really great feature. Second, using a strict primary + secondary keyword logic.

3. I am not sure if this requests is relevant to the search – as the live search is not indexed by google, their crawler bot does not do that. The results pages might be, but there the plugin has no effect, the titles are requestd from wordpress itself.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

etackle67
    etackle67
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Thanks again for the prompt reply and indeed the plugin. I truly believe this is one of the best, more detailed plugins I have used on wordpress.

Just one final query which relates to the original point 3 in my previous post….

What the vendor is specifically asking is that if he has a product that he believes will be great for a Fathers day gift, he will apply a tag to this saying “Fathers Day”. Now if he wants to his product to appear with a thumbnail on the search results he would have to use the word Fathers day in his title. His products titles then looks long and unprofessional. Is there a possible way for specific products to show in search results, with the thumbnail, if someone types in their tag that isnt in the post title?

As it sits the search query appears as a tag (without a thumb nail) that you then click on to show all products with this tag.

Hope this makes sense?

Kind Regards
    James

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi James,

Okay, I understand now – you want to search by the product tags (or other taxonomy), and return the products. That is of course possible, this documentation will help.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

etackle67
    etackle67
    Participant

Thanks Ernest,

I think I have the settings all correct but this particular vendors products do not show in search when I type in fathers day even though he has tagged his products with this term.

I have done this short video clip to show what I mean and then the settings I currently have in the index table settings…

https://www.loom.com/share/bc61f0d313c643d9aa454beb613c2776

Regards
    James

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Either the results does not fit into the limit, or the index table is not chosen on the search settings, or maybe the keyword logic. Can you please check the back-end credentials? I would like to check your configuration.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

etackle67
    etackle67
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

The index table was not selected on the search settings: https://i.imgur.com/SlsylKe.png
    I have changed that, it should give you much more relevant results now.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

etackle67
    etackle67
    Participant

Hi ernest

Many thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time with this as I thought the index table was set but clearly I didnt save!

Kind Regards
    James

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

No problem whatsoever, there are many options there, I completely understand it 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.