About wp_asp_index size

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kokosan
    kokosan
    Participant

Hi, what is wp_asp_index? Now it’s 1.4 GiB. Is this normal? Noww I have 62,380 posts, only texts and custom fields, no images. Anyway to optimize? Now I move my site to locallhost due to database size limit. Anyway, I will choose a suitable hosting plan.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

It sounds perefctly normal to me for that amount of posts. The plugin initiates table optimization commads, so you do not need to do anything.
    You can initiate an OPTIMIZE TABLE command directly, but it is not neccessary.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

kokosan
    kokosan
    Participant

I forget to mention…Actually, the amount that has updated contents is 35,651posts. So still 26,729 empty content posts need to be updated (have only titles but not yet content). If all the contents are updated to the total amount, it would be more than 2.5 GiB, I think.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

It is certainly a lot.

It is possible that some redundant data might be indexed. Usually the best way to reduce the size is to get rid off the potentially unrelevant information for the search.

I suggest maybe trying a few tricks to drastically reduce the size:
    – Make sure only the required fields are selected. A very common mistake is when long text posts contents are being indexed, when the actual content is mostly less important for search as other fields. If you are using post categories, tags, custom fields or other taxonomy terms, then maybe turning off the index for post contents will do the trick alone. Usually the title, tags/taxonomy terms and the custom fields contain the more important information. That will drastically reduce the size.
    – Using stop words filter for common words: https://i.imgur.com/ZZT1yuT.png
    This one is definitely efficient as well, but you need to be careful with the words lis, so that important keywords are not removed.

After any changes you will have to recreate the whole index though, so I recommend making more changes at once. Also, for faster indexing you can increase the Post limit per iteration option, try with 100 posts, the plugin will automatically adjust during runtime: https://i.imgur.com/sAsQEGj.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

kokosan
    kokosan
    Participant

Let me explain about the concept of my project. They are two main searches:

Search1: As you can see the search on the home page, I want every word that maches a keyword to display. They are books. So, each post represents a book page. Category and tag are used for filter (category is the name for a book and tag is the name for the book types). Custom field is used to mark page numbers. In this case, the search doesn’t target category, tag and custom field, but mainly target contents and titles. But the titles don’t contain many texts like the contents. So, the search mainly targets the contents because they contain the most texts.

Search2: Mainly target custom field (I have some texts in the custom field to search for, it’s quite long texts), maybe target category, tag and other taxomomy terms as well.

Note: All the concept is to make sure that people get all the related search results from all the page from all the books. If what you suggest affects the search result concept, never mind I would prefer to go with it and choose a suitable hosting plan. But at least optimize what can be done if possible.

kokosan
    kokosan
    Participant
    kokosan
    kokosan
    Participant

Here is the search1 concept, which mainly targets contents https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rKcCMavShfyAYgDo6fDl3f1E7_ZW2600/view?usp=sharing

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh okay, that is different then.

In that case I only recommend maybe trying the stop-words feature. That could potentially still result in 10-20% savings in the database space. You can still run a OPTIMIZE TABLE command, but those are also issue by Ajax Search Pro so the table should not be defragmented.

If I may suggest something regards your hosting: If the “weakest” point of your overall server is the database, then instead of going for a completely new hosting plan (which usually scales up everything), you can probably get away by hosting only the database separately. If your main site hosting does not need to much CPU horsepower, nor storage, then placing the database to a separate plan is usually faster. It is not as simple as one click hosting, but if you have experience with VPS and Unix it is definitely worth it.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

kokosan
    kokosan
    Participant

Indeed the weaken point is the database. I have many sites but only this site requires more space for database. Thank you for your suggestions. I will think about hosting when I get things done.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.