Adjust search

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    uixandy72
    uixandy72
    Participant

Hey there, I am using two searches, one for the results page and one to include it in the menu.

How can I achieve, that when someone uses the search in the menu, the terms entered, also appear in the search of the results page, as it is forwarding there and the results page should already show the results for the search added to the other search included in the menu.

And then I would like to know, how I can adjust the look of the results. height of images and the row columns etc as it is quite tight at the moment.

Also on the search results page, I tried to include checkboxes for tags inside the settings, but they are not appearing in the frontend, what did I do wrong?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

The layout of the results page is fully controlled by the theme you are using – a plugin can not change that unfortunately. Currently, I see you are trying to use the plugin to display results on the results page via the results shortcode. Well, that shortcode is not really meant for that, but there might be a way to trigger the search when redirected to the results page.
    Try changing the redirection options to “custom url” and enter this:

?asp_s={phrase}&s={phrase}

see this screenshot.

That will basically trigger the search whenever redirected to the results page.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

uixandy72
    uixandy72
    Participant

Ok I will try this. But I would also be fine to create a new page and use that as results page, if thats easier and better?

And I did some adjustment to the layout via custom CSS, but I am not able to bring each result to the top of its container as you can see in the screenshot. I dont really understand why there is this huge gap before the content starts inside the container. Can you help me with that? Or should I first deactivate all my custom css? Because without custom css the image got smaller the longer the headliner was. Is it possible to limit the headline characters? Or that the longer headline does not push inside the image but below the image and instead of same height items, make it masonry?

https://tppr.me/lwSSl

EDIT: adding ?asp_s={phrase}&s={phrase} solved that issue, but if I click somewhere on the page and the cursor is not inside the search field, all results disappear, can I fix this, so all results remain until I change the text inside the search field?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by uixandy72 uixandy72.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by uixandy72 uixandy72.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

The gap is because the background image mode is set to contain the image, not to cover the space. The isotopic layout, which you are currently using is a fixed width/height ratio results laytou, and is probably not the best for containing images – as the white space needs to go somewhere as the ratio is fixed.
    You could perhaps try a theme with the “horizontal” layout, which you can then set to not use scrolling, so the items will be printed one after another.

It is the deafult behavior for the results container to close the results, whenever the search elements lose focus, you can change that here: https://i.imgur.com/OoTMx30.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

uixandy72
    uixandy72
    Participant

Thanks this all worked fine, I just dont know how to add the image to the search results now with the horizontal layout?

And why are the tags not showing in the search menu? I am pretty sure I added them as taxonomy to the search.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looks like the images are there actually, but some sort of a conflict is created and not rendered. Try this custom CSS:

.horizontal .item {
        align-content: baseline;
    }

a.asp_res_image_url {
        width: 100%;
    }

.asp_image {
        width: 100%;
        min-height: 150px;
    }

This should force to render them.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

uixandy72
    uixandy72
    Participant

Thanks this helped with images.

And why are the tags not showing in the search menu? I am pretty sure I added them as taxonomy to the search.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

uixandy72
    uixandy72
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you!

The configuration is okay, the issue is, that there are no posts nor other object associated with the tags, so they are not yet shown: https://i.imgur.com/VuVVbuX.png
    Once at least one post is associated with the tags they will show up.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.