Ajax Pro causes 500 Internal Server Error when activated

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Ajax Pro causes 500 Internal Server Error when activated

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #8492
    Xperten
    Xperten
    Participant

    Hi,

    We have been using the plugin for a long time, with no errors at all. However, today we edited one thing, and since then we have not been able to use the plugin at all (it causes “500 internal server error”). Here is what happened:

    1) We had a test search on our frontpage (nothing set up – only named it and inserted the shortcode)
    2) Today, we wanted to set it up – the only thing we got to do was change the “search here…” text to “søg her…” (danish translation).
    3) After we said “save” the site crashes with the “500 internal server error”.

    So, the only thing we have done is change the “search here…” text.

    What we have tried since the error:

    1) Deactivated/Deleted the plugin (the site works when the plugin is deleted or deactivated)
    2) Reupload and install the plugin – same error
    3) Checked the FTP to see if any files / etc. was left – all clean here as well.

    So, we don’t know what to do anymore. If we install and activate the plugin, our site crashes (the wp-admin control panel still works completely fine). Any ideas as to what we can do here? Seems like there is a setting or something saved somewhere that forces the site to crash when the plugin is active.

    In advance, thank you for the help!

    #8494
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Hi!

    I suspect that some data might have gotten corrupted when saving and it throws an error.

    Try the following steps first:

    1. Make a back-up copy of your database first, just in case
    2. Try to delete all search instances and create a new one instead
    3. Go to all of the submenu pages (compatibility options, caching options etc..) and save the options once again

    If this was indeed the suspected problem, it should disappear.

    If not, then make sure to enable debug mode in your wp-config.php file, maybe there is an error message preceeding the error 500 page, which could be helpful.

    If none of these change anything, then I will need temporary FTP and back-end access to debug through the plugin code to find what is causing the problem.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #8495
    Xperten
    Xperten
    Participant

    How do we delete all search instances?

    And by creating a new one, what do you mean?

    Thanks!

    #8508
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Hi!

    To delete any search instance, click on the delete button on the Ajax Search Pro menu: https://i.imgur.com/nkYckJb.png

    On that same page you can make a new search as well: https://i.imgur.com/MEuPhsb.png

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #8570
    Xperten
    Xperten
    Participant

    We have now tried your solution, and here are the results:

    1) We deleted ALL the search instances, and created a new one.
    2) We also saved all the settings one by one again.

    We actually managed to have the site live and running, once we made that one new search instance. Everything works perfectly. However, as soon as we change just one thing on the new instance, we go back to the original error.

    An example of this is as follows:

    1) Delete all search instances
    2) Create one new search instance
    – the site is now live
    3) Rename the “search here…” to “gogogo…”
    – the site now crashes with error 500

    So, as soon as we make any changes to the new search instance, we go back to the error we saw to start off with. If I then repeat all the steps, we get the site going live again (with the plugin active, and a new search instance created).

    Any ideas as on how to troubleshoot this? I believe you’re right in saying that something may be corrupted – and perhaps this only occurs as soon as we make any changes to the new search instance.

    #8575
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Okay, so it works with the default values, but it fails after the saving process. Very interesting. It suggests that the plugin database tables are there and working, but somehow at the saving process the data might get corrupted for some reason. It could explain that. I might be wrong though.

    First of all, you will have to turn on the error reporting. To do that, you will have to enable debug mode in the wp-config.php. Here is a tutorial how to do it. This should increase the PHP error sensitivity level, and sometimes instead of the error 500 screen a list of error messages show up. That would pinpoint to the line which causes the termination, or at least give us a clue. Let’s hope that gives us any information.

    Unfortunately in many cases that does not do anything. Then the only way of finding the problem there is to systematically debug through the plugin code, narrowing down to the point which causes the problem. In this case however I will need FTP access, without that it’s not possible. If you have a test environment or a staging site where I could re-create the problem and you can give me temporary credentials, I will try to debug through the code and fix it if possible.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.