Ajax Search Pro Config Questions

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Ajax Search Pro Config Questions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dennis_airbase
    dennis_airbase
    Participant

Hey there – we are working on finalizing the configuration of our Ajax Search Pro Plugin. I have a couple of questions I can’t figure out.

Currently, our search is only set up on this page – airbase.com/search-private
    The page is password protected. Password: idea2ipo
    If you need admin access I will grant you temp access to our staging environment but I think you can help without access.

1. Display URL/ Permalink in Search Results – I can’t figure out how to display the URL/ Permalink of the page it’s showing in the search results. This would be very useful. (Screenshot attached) Currently, it only displays the page title and description.

2. Older Entries/ Pagination Functionality – Currently it displays “Older Entries” and it’s in the bottom left. Ideally, we would want this to say “Page 1, Page 2 etc.” and display in the bottom right so users know there are more results. (Screenshot attached) Is there a way to customize that function?

3. Display Content Type of result – Is there a way for search results to display what content type it is? We have custom post types such as Page, blog, ebook, case study etc. which would be useful to include.

4. Tracking/ Reporting – I have connected to GA integration. Event tracking. A couple questions. Since it’s event tracking, is it fair to assume that all the different search queries/ parameters won’t show up in our page report in GA? We don’t want to track all pageviews to different search query pages.
    – Where do I control if search results pages are indexed? We want all search results pages excluded from our index and robots.txt file.

Let me know if you need more information or admin access. Thank you!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dennis_airbase
    dennis_airbase
    Participant

PS – we are using the Regular engine, not the index table engine if that’s useful.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thank you for all the details, it helps us a lot.

1-3. Unfortunately these are not affected by Ajax Search Pro. The results page layout is fully controlled by the theme you are currently using. These are definitely possible via some custom coding of the results page via a child theme. You can try asking the theme developer, it is very likely he will have ready made solutions for most of these queries.

4. With event tracking pageviews are not generated whatsoever. Everything is sent custom events, you don’t have to worry about that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

dennis_airbase
    dennis_airbase
    Participant

Ah okay – there are so many different settings in Ajax Search, I figured I was missing them. We will work on configuring those changes into our theme.

I do have a couple of follow-up questions from Ajax Search Config Settings which aren’t being reflected.

1. Images in search results – This isn’t about displaying media files, but actual images with the content in search results.
    – I have the setting to display images toggled off – also tried both containing the image and covering the space options. We are still seeing images and inconsistent styling. Any tips?

2. Results text highlighter – similar issue. I’ve turned this on, and selected the settings and colors to highlight the user’s query in the search results but it’s not actually doing anything.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. If you mean in this case the results page, then the same thing applies as before. The plugin can not change what images and how are displayed on the actual results page, that is fully controlled by the theme. Search plugins can only “relay” the results to the results page (via changing the original query) with minimum control in regars of the results fields and output.
    There is a theme API though, where you can access the fields from Ajax Search Pro – including the parsed image, but unfortunately that has to be coded into the actual child theme.

2. Make sure it is enabled this option too. If you make a search via ajax search pro, it should start appearing on single results when you click on any results via the live result window. Please note, that this is not for the results page, but for single results when clicked through the live results list.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

dennis_airbase
    dennis_airbase
    Participant

1. Okay thanks – sounds like a lot of our issues are related to the theme. So we will go make sure we make all these CSS updates in the child theme search results page.

2. I’ve attached a screenshot. Both these were toggled on. Still no luck. What is the difference between single results and live result windows?
    – Our site search is configured without live search, so a user enters a search term, clicks enter, and is redirected to the search results page with multiple results.
    – Is this suggesting highlighting text only works for the live search? not search results.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

2. This is the live results list, for that these options apply. A single result in this case means when a result is clicked through via the live search window and then the highlighter is active on the single result page.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.