Ajax Search Pro not turning up results for all sites

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Ajax Search Pro not turning up results for all sites

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by robborkow robborkow 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

Hi – as promised, here is information on accessing the second site involved in the issue hampering multi-site search.

**Just edited the login info. Previous FTP access should work.

• This topic was modified 10 years ago by robborkow robborkow.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

It looks like those listings are actually posts, which is good. However it doesn’t look like the listings site is part of the network installation, that must be the problem. On the listings ajax search amin page I cannot see any of the multisite instances. It appears to me as the listings site is a fully separate WordPress installation, that would explain why the search can’t find the database entries. The ftp also confirms my theory, as there are wordpress files under the public_html/listings directory, and that directory shouldn’t even exist on a multisite install.

Unfortunately it is not possible to cross-search one WordPress instance from another, the sites must be connected with a multisite installation – this is the reason why you can’t see results from the listings site on your main site.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

Well, that is odd. And yet, on the main site the listings site comes up as an option in Ajax search. But I can see you’re right about the multisite options on the listings site – do you have a suggestion for how I can fix that?

I’d thought I’d done a smooth multi-site install, but it seems I missed something.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Yes it does, because the listings site was/is created in the multisite installation, but it’s virtually not the same as the listings site that is actually there.

Managing a multisite needs a bit of practice 🙂 Some plugins and themes are not compatible with multisite, so you should first check if the plugins you want to use on your listings site are compatible with multisite installations.

In my opionion what you need to do is:
    1. Backup everything – all the sites, files, databases everything.
    2. Delete the public_html/listings directory completely
    3. From what I can see from the listings config file the listings wordpress uses the “robborko_wor7” database, you should delete that as well (but first backup of course)
    4. Now, log in back to your main site at warwickpost.com/wp-admin and open up the network admin sites panel options
    5. Delete the listings site from the sites list – it should be still there
    6. Now add a new site – listings
    7. That’s it, no files are needed, nothing, if you then go to warwickpost.com/listings url you should see the new wordpress site.

Virtually you will have now a main site and a listings site + a network administrator panel. Some plugins need to be installed through the network administrator panel (such as ajax search pro) some of them not.

It’s a bit hard to get used to it, but as long as you have your backup files it’s going to be all right – you can restore everything if something goes wrong.

Here is a longer reading about this: https://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration

I hope this will help you a bit with the multisite madness 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

OK, thanks. I’ll give that a shot and let you know how it works out.

robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

Quick question – that will delete the current listings site, won’t it?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Yes, completely.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

Hi, Ernest – I followed those steps and the search still isn’t working. That includes the main news site.

Rob

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

The main site didn’t work because of a debug code I put in there, I just removed it.

I guess you restored a backup on a listings site because I can see the old wordpress files in the listings directory. Without multisite installation it is not possible to search the other sites database, I’m sorry 🙁

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

I did – I made an error shortly after my last message and had to start from scratch. I was exploring other options, and I learned something interesting – other plugins I’ve used aren’t turning up the directory posts because they’re private/password protected – could that be our issue here?

It seems the multisite setup isn’t the issue, since the alternate multi-site plugin is getting posts from the listings site – just not the ones generated from the site’s password protected form.

Rob

robborkow
    robborkow
    Participant

Hey, Ernest – Wanted to apologize for not taking you at your word earlier. You were absolutely right.

Mostly finished up fixing things – thank you for your time!

Rob

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.