BuddyPress – Searching Extended Profiles

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support BuddyPress – Searching Extended Profiles

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by dabeebe2000 dabeebe2000 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dabeebe2000
    dabeebe2000
    Participant

I have wordpress/buddypress/multisite setup and AJAX seemed like a life saver. The built in search is very poor, and on the home page of the website – http://denvertherapistsnetwork.com – I need to offer potential clients the ability to search for therapists. In AJAX I have set it up to search just BuddyPress Users. This appears to work, but in testing I don’t think it is grabbing extended profiles.

So you can go to any user and see their profile, which is part of the basic BuddyPress profile, and extended profile – http://denvertherapistsnetwork.com/therapists/shannonboyle/ – that is one user example.

Is there a way to get it to index this whole section. If you use the login credentials and go here – http://denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-admin/users.php – you will see how there is a tab for basic and tab for extended.

Thanks, David

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Well, it’s a little more complicated than that unfortunately.

There are like 10 different plugins I know to extend user fields, and each of them use a different way to store the extra data related to the profiles. While it seems fairly easy to just grab those data and index them, on the other side it’s extremely complicated due to the nature of how WordPress stores users and user data.
    On top of that the current state of user search with Ajax Search Pro is not the best, but luckily I have already implemented a much better one to the upcoming version. I still cannot promise though that it will be possible to search those fields.

The new will support the so called “user meta”, which is a database table for storing any amounts of key->value pairs for each user in the WordPress system. So if the membership plugin you are using uses this standard way of storing these data, then it will definitely work.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

dabeebe2000
    dabeebe2000
    Participant

Okay, thanks. Can you tell me when roughly the new version will be out?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

End of this week, or beginning of next week tops as I will be on vacation from wednesday next week.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

dabeebe2000
    dabeebe2000
    Participant

Wow, okay, great. Oh, and I am not sure if it matters, but it might since it might impact the greatest number of users, but in BuddyPress you can select “extended profiles” right in the main buddypress options, and it is not a plugin. My guess is this is being used by most users instead of other plugins, since built in functionality, so just wanted to make sure that was clear since you mentioned other plugins.

I appreciate the support and how awesome this plugin is, so hopefully that update will fix this. I believe it will, from the last time I was in the database looking at this info, but not certain. Thanks, David

dabeebe2000
    dabeebe2000
    Participant

Also, I can say if this is resolved and you write a blog post on it over time you will get more customers. I have hours of research invested in finding a decent solution for searching users in buddypress – you could even respond to some threads in WPMU – the “experts” there, that I belong to, had zero ideas outside of the built in, which is really lame. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.