CANNOT get it to exclude categories!! Done all everything you said on this forum

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support CANNOT get it to exclude categories!! Done all everything you said on this forum

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PBG
    PBG
    Participant

Absolutely cannot get plugin to work they way I want it to. It’s very unfortunate as I really liked the way your search bar looks! I’ve excluded every category possible and still it searches in the Beauty category when the search bar is specifically only to search Pets Category.

And the search value is even worse off than original WordPress. IF I typed in Pet expo in my original wordpress search, it’ll bring up the Pet expo event I have listed. I type pet expo in your search and it brings up 30 searches of titles with the word Pet in it. Doesn’t even show Pet expo. Shouldn’t it list by relevance, most closely matched first?? It lists by decending or ascending….doesn’t make sense.

i even uploaded new database with addresses in content to try and make your search bar work for it to search by contentand excerpt and it just won’t! I can’t search by Pet in CA and have the search return anything by that relevance. Only looks for the word Pet in all titles.

You try it here: http://www.petsbeautygadgets.com/pet-directory/

Totally useless for me. like I said I really liked the look of all your search bars but a pretty search bar just doesnt serve the purpose. Can I please have a refund if you can’t get it to work?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Dear customer,

The most important question in the category case is, are you using custom post types? Categories in custom post types are not the same categories as in simple posts and therefore are impossible to exclude. Hopefully there will be a solution or a better implementation in wordpress’ next upcoming version, until then, this will stay impossible.

If you are not using custom post types, then this might be a misconfiguration or a software bug. I might need you to allow me temporary ftp/administrator access to see and fix possible mistakes, since category exclusion works fine on all my testservers, and none of my other clients reported this before. Sometimes bugs occur with other plugins, but it is impossible to get prepared for a 500 thousand plugin base compatibility.

As for the search results. The search is working as it should work. It’s giving you those result, because if the word “pet” is found in more fields (like title, description, custom fields) in one post then the exact match goes behind these results.
    If you expect more accurate results, then turn on the “Show exact matches only?” and it will look for the word order more strictly, and you will possibly get more accurate results. (it’s not that strict as it sounds, try it 🙂 )

Unfortunately I cannot refund you, envato marketplaces has a very hard policy on this. Don’t worry, I will assist you and help you to get the search working.
    I know how frustrating is when a newly bought product is not working as it should, but please stay calm, I’m focusing on your issue.

PS.: Sorry for the late answer, the server went down minutes after you submitted the ticket. I’m in contact with the host provider, I might move the whole thing to another host, they have terrible downtimes.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

PBG
    PBG
    Participant

Thanks for fast response.

I actually deleted all of the original theme’s searchform.php bcos it was looking and returning rubbish results. So I used original WordPress searchform instead.

this is what the searchform in the current yellow header searchbar on my site is:

<div class=”searchform”>
    <form method=”get” id=”searchform2″ action=”<?php bloginfo(‘home’); ?>/”>

<span class=”searchfor”><input type=”text” name=”s” id=”s” class=”s” value=” G’day! Enter quick search here by business name or keywords” onfocus=”if(this.value==this.defaultValue)this.value=”;” onblur=”if(this.value==”)this.value=this.defaultValue;” />
    <small class=”text”><?php //echo ‘Pets, Beauty and Gadgets’;?> </small>
    </span>

</form>
    </div>

It returns most value pretty well except it won’t search in Addresses on my listing so someone looking for a generic Pet store in Birkdale returns 0 results even though there is a listing there that is located in birkdale.
    Try it…you’ll see what I mean.

Can you tweak above code to make it work with your searchbar? I only need to set it once and I don’t want to change it again so I don’t need to go in and change themes etc.

Thanks!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

If by tweaking you mean replacing it with my search bar, then it is possible. You can create a new ajax search pro, or use the one you already have.
    Try to replace this code:

<div class="searchform">
    <form method="get" id="searchform2″ action="<?php bloginfo('home’); ?>/">

<span class="searchfor"><input type="text" name="s" id="s" class="s" value=" G day! Enter quick search here by business name or keywords" onfocus="if(this.value==this.defaultValue)this.value=";" onblur="if(this.value==")this.value=this.defaultValue;" />
    <small class="text"><?php //echo 'Pets, Beauty and Gadgets’;?> </small>
    </span>

</form>
    </div>

with this:

After replacing you should see the ajax search pro where the other search bar was. Don’t fogrget to backup the code first, in case you want to restore it!
    And if you want a similar layout, you can try the one of the “curvy” themes on the ajax search pro settings page, they similar to your yellow search bar.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko. Reason: code change
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko.
    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘CANNOT get it to exclude categories!! Done all everything you said on this forum’ is closed to new replies.