Checkbox in the Search Settings not showing up

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Checkbox in the Search Settings not showing up

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by launchcatapult launchcatapult 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

The home page has a checkbox that we only edited via the settings in the backend. We tried to change the color of the background and that was it. The checks aren’t showing up when you check the box.

After trying to debug we found that when checking the box, it adds an element: <span class=”custom checkbox”></span>

When deleting that element, the checkboxes show up just fine.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Those span elements are not part of the plugin.
    I checked through the dev tools, and the following script is putting those elements after every single checkbox on the site: https://64.34.205.58/~apmpbok/wp-content/plugins/userpress/wiki/js/foundation.min.js?ver=1.2.3.7

Since that code is minified I can’t tell exactly how and what to change. You should definitely notify the developer about this, because this can lead to other issues with other plugins using checkboxes. Randomly replacing items on the entire site with javascript is not a good idea. The event listeners attached to the checkbox parent elements can change this way.

Anyways I can suggest 2 possible solutions, that might work (I’m not 100% sure)

1. Custom CSS – might not work

Put this custom css code to any of your stylesheets or into the Custom css field on the search plugin Theme Options -> Custom CSS panel:

span.checked + label:after {
        opacity: 1;
    }

2. Javascript solution – probably work

Put this custom javascript inbetween script tags anywhere (prefer header or footer) on your site:

jQuery(document).ready(function () {
        jQuery(".innericon, #ajaxsearchprosettings1_1 input[type=checkbox]").click(function(){$("#ajaxsearchprosettings1_1 span.custom").detach()});
    });

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

The Javascript solution you suggested worked. I appreciate the fast feedback! Thank you.

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

I do have another question:

When using the setting “Exact matches only” it isn’t returning results. There is a post called “Writing Clearly” and when you search “Writing” it doesn’t show up.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I did a few adjustments regarding the relevance and disabled the “search in excerpt” option.

Since the “writing” keyword is very common on your site, it gave lots of results to the plugin. With these adjustments the results should be a bit more focused on the title without loosing relevant results.

The next search version (which is being uploaded tomorrow) will have a bit different approach exactly for these situations. You can check codecanyon in a few days for version 3.3 which will probably give you more relevant results.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

We’re having a bit of an issue in Firefox with the checkbox. It basically “lags” behind when checking options. So if you check the first option, it won’t be highlighted until you try to check another option and that option won’t highlight until you try to check another option, and so on.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

The best solution would be to completely disable that foundation script, it looks very agressive to me, but I might be wrong.

Try to remove the javascript I gave you and try this CSS instead:

.searchsettings span.checked + label:after {
        opacity: 1 !important;
    }

This should not lag at all, but I’m not sure if it works. Let me know, and I will integrate it to the next version.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Seems to be working in FF and Chrome! I appreciate the quick response.

Thanks!

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

One last issue here. We have another plugin, CM Tootlip Pro, doing some glossary related stuff on the site. Something we had to do to get the functionality we desired was to use the plugin’s functionality to replace certain terms with content of our choice.

Basically, it does this:

glossary term turns into [glossary_exclude]glossary term[/glossary_exclude]

When using the search, the Ajax plugin doesn’t execute those shortcodes, it just displays them as-is.

So on the site, if you search “Opportunity Plan”, you’ll see instances of the [glossary_exclude] shortcode.

How would we go about fixing this so that the shortcode doesn’t show up?

Thanks!

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

We seemed to have figured it out. We checked the setting to remove the shortcodes and to not execute them.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.