costum design for a button and result page

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support costum design for a button and result page

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    orly
    orly
    Participant

Hi

2 questions,
    one, is it possible to replace the search icon with an image for a button? i want to design a button and place it under the search input field, is it possible?

the second question is is it possible to show the resolutes on a custom existing page in my wordpress site? in the admin panel i can only see that there’s an input for” ‘Redirect to url?’ but when i tried to paste a url it redirected me to an error page, i can only work with this: ?s={phrase}?

thank you in advance,
    Orly

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

On the theme options you can change/upload your own icon for the magnifier, but if you want to change it as a whole I recommend doing it with CSS and leaving the HTML intact, because javascript actions are attached to that button and if you change the HTML structure the search won’t work anymore.

The search is purely ajax powered, thus you can’t “transfer” the result data from page to page. The redirect url is merged with the base site url. For example if you want to use the yourdomain.com/search/phrase/search+for+this url, then you only need to paste the url after your domain name, so in this case: search/phrase/{phrase} You don’t need to use the domain name, it is appended automatically.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

orly
    orly
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

thanks for your help

with regards to my second question,
    this is the url i want to display the search results:
    http://www.persona.org.il/פרסונות

when I try and pase only the relative path it gets me to 404 page, like this:
    פרסונות/{phrase}
    or like this
    פרסונות/?s={phrase}

what am i doing wrong? :/

thanks in advance
    Orly

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

You need to set up your permalink structure for wordpress to recognize the “/פרסונות” url as the default search page. Currently your main url works, for example: http://www.persona.org.il/?s=test

The plugin is working correctly, it redirects to the correct page, but wordpress doesn’t know that it should be the search page.

I think you need some kind of modification to your .htaccess file, but I’m not sure.

I’ve found a tutorial that might be helpful: http://wpengineer.com/2258/change-the-search-url-of-wordpress/

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

orly
    orly
    Participant

I don’t understand…

if the plugin works correctly then, it should display my results in the page that I placed the short code and redirected to in the plugin, no?

I am not using the default search engine of wordpress only your plugin.

lets say I want to place my results on any other url, what should I do?

Therese an option in the plugin panel to ‘Override the default WordPress search results page’ why doesn’t it work? and the input for the redirect url?

am i missing something or just don’t understand anything? 🙂

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

The input for the custom URL was built in because some customers had different (customized) url for the search results and they needed to adjust the redirection from the Ajax Search Pro.

The ‘Override the default WordPress search results page’ overrides actually the results on the default search results page, not the page location or the URL or the layout. So you should see similar result items to the ajax search pro results. The page (layout or URL) cannot be overriden by a plugin unfortunately.

If you want to change the url of the results page, then you need to either create page redirect filter in the theme functions.php, or to create a .htaccess rule. This method will bypass the required query variables back to the default search page. Unfortunately it’s not possible to do this with a plugin, that’s why ajax search pro can’t manage this part.
    I think the article I linked covers both methods: http://wpengineer.com/2258/change-the-search-url-of-wordpress/

After the redirection is set properly, then you need to change the custom search URL on the ajax search pro settings to match the redirection pattern.

I’m sorry if it’s a bit confusing, permalink redirects are extremely hard to understand, and I’m not the best when it comes to explaining 😀

Anyways, I can’t really help with the redirection issue as it’s not related to the search, but based on that article I’ve modified that code there, which should work on your server. So, try to put this to your themes functions.php file:

function asp_change_search_url_rewrite() {
    	if ( is_search() && ! empty( $_GET['s'] ) ) {
    		wp_redirect( home_url( "/פרסונות/" ) . urlencode( get_query_var( 's' ) ) );
    		exit();
    	}	
    }
    add_action( 'template_redirect', 'asp_change_search_url_rewrite' );

Okay. Now, after putting this code the urls like: http://www.persona.org.il/פרסונות/phrase
    should start showing some search results, as wordpress now knows that the “/פרסונות/” permalink is triggering a search.

Now try to change the ‘Redirect to url?’ setting on the Ajax Search Pro settings to this:
    פרסונות/{phrase}

You might need to turn off the ‘Override the default WordPress search results page’ in order to make it work, I’m not sure about this.

I’m hoping that his will help you.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

orly
    orly
    Participant

Hi

Thank you very much for your effort, unfortunate it did not work :/

lets say i don’t want the permalinks to change at all, lets say all i want to do is when users search something they are redirected to the search results page with all the relevant results on it.

can you please advise what to do?

where should i place the results short code and how can i redirect users to the search results page?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

It’s a shame, I was hoping it would work.

In this case turn the ‘Override the default WordPress search results page’ option on,
    and change the ‘Redirect to url?’ back to ?s={phrase}

It should redirect back to the original search page with the overriden results.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

orly
    orly
    Participant

Hi

ok, did that, but now when i search i get to a ‘page not found’

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

It returns to the search results page, but there is nothing to display. Something is not set correctly on the theme I suppose.

If I try the default search page like persona.org.il/?s=אתר פרסונה
    it gives me a very strange layout, no links, nothing.

Also the ajax search is not working now, there is no response returned. I remember it worked correctly. If you changed anything you should try to revert it back. You should also remove that code you put there earlier regarding the url fix. (just to prevent any issues)

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

orly
    orly
    Participant

Me Again… 🙂

I have installed a different theme, with the hope that now it will work, I have brought back the plugin to its initial stat, so i am using the defult result page..

but every time I am searching for category name I get to a page with some code on front (bottom of the page)
    http://www.persona.org.il/?s=%D7%99%D7%96%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%AA

Any ideas?

orly
    orly
    Participant

and also, do you know why does it take so long for the results to be displayed or the redirection to work, its really slow..

and the last question, can you tell me please is there a php file in your plugin that is responsible for the results display?

Thanks so much

orly
    orly
    Participant

Ernest,

OK I gave up the option to display the results on a different page and I am trying to set up the Isotopic layout, but now the search gets stuck 🙁

do you achieve a payed service to set up your plugin in websites? is it possible to pay you to do this, and if so how much will it cost?

I have a deadline for this site and the only thing left to do is make the search work..

can you help?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I can only offer free support related to bugs and errors, unfortunately I don’t have the resources for paid support 🙁

I’m more than happy to help if you have any issues or suggestions. Let me know!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.