Home › Forums › Product Support Forums › Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support › Customer Cant Search on Site
This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko 4 years, 5 months ago.
- October 22, 2018 at 5:44 pm #19554
Hello, I can supply the login information if needed but I have a question that one of our customers asked me today. He can’t get the search to work at all on his computer. I tried troubleshooting his computer as far as the browser, etc but no luck. He can type in a part number like (83-2800) on the site and when he either pushes enter on his keyboard or pushes the search icon next to the search box, nothing happens. I think the customer needs to update their browser possibly or maybe it is another issue on their end but I wanted to check with you to see if you have ever ran into this issue. The search function works perfectly fine for me and everyone else that uses the site that I know.
I am just wondering if you have any input on this issue or ideas on how to fix this issue.
thanks for your time,
Chris Baxter DameronOctober 23, 2018 at 9:51 am #19567
That sounds like an issue on the customers end. I have tested the site on few major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge), but I see no errors in the console, everything seems to be working fine.Best,
He might have some extensions enabled, that may affect the site browsing, some extensions are poorly coded, and may cause errors. If nothing else helps, then usually that explains the problem.
If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.