Expanding index with data from another website

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Expanding index with data from another website

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    renatko
    renatko
    Participant

Hello,

On a WordPress website where I’ve installed plugin, I need to provide search for:
    a) WordPress itself paaselerate2.wpengine.com
    and
    b) Results from docs.cloudfoundry.org

How would you recommend to solve this challenge? If I add data to the Ajax Search Pro database, would it remove data from an index at some point, or I’m safe and it will be there?

Thank you,
    Renat

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

The search is looking for results in the wp_posts (or {dbprefix}_posts) table. There isn’t a separate table built for this, mainly beacause it would take up database space for no reason.

In order to have the data on the first website from the second website, you would need to copy it to the wp_posts table, but I highly doubt that this is a good idea.
    In my opinion the best option would be to ethier make modifications to the plugin to connect to a remote database (docs.cloudfoundry.org) and parse the data from there, or to copy the data to a new table in the first database and create a parser for that.

Both solutions will require some very serious knowledge in PHP, WordPress databases and of course deeop examination of the search plugin.

To answer your question I’m not sure which way is the best to solve this. You might need to do further research on this topic, maybe there is a better way of doing this.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

renatko
    renatko
    Participant

Ernest,

Got it. Would you be interested in adding this as a feature in exchange for a payment to develop this feature (ability to add 3rd party websites to index, for example in the form of providing
    1) URL to a sitemap of website to index (for example in our case its https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adocs.cloudfoundry.org&oq=site%3Adocs.cloudfoundry.org&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.8229j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8)
    2) Limit indexing path to ‘docs.cloudfoundry.org/*’

If you would be interested, I’m flexible with timing and would like to know what size of the payment would you require assuming I would agree to release the intellectual property to you so you can monetize the new feature and offer an alternative to a fast-growing service Swiftype.com which we are considering (they have $24/month subscription to a service that allows adding several domains to index and serve an search results from an “aggregated” index). I can agree to pay a monthly fee, as you may require, for example for 12 months, to “finance” the development of the feature.

If you would not be interested, perhaps you can recommend a developer to contract this to. Otherwise I would have to customize your product with my two PHP/Wordpress developers (they work in our Minsk office maintaining our WordPress sites). However, I consider this option of forking as the least desirable selfish option as it doesn’t benefit your product long-term and puts us outside of upgrades.

Thank you for consideration,
    Renat

Renat

renatko
    renatko
    Participant

Ernest,

Did you have a chance to take a look at my proposal for me funding development of the feature? What do you think?

Thanks,
    Renat

_______
    August 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm #2174 EDIT | REPLY

renatko

Participant
    Ernest,

Got it. Would you be interested in adding this as a feature in exchange for a payment to develop this feature (ability to add 3rd party websites to index, for example in the form of providing
    1) URL to a sitemap of website to index (for example in our case its https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adocs.cloudfoundry.org&oq=site%3Adocs.cloudfoundry.org&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.8229j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8)
    2) Limit indexing path to ‘docs.cloudfoundry.org/*’

If you would be interested, I’m flexible with timing and would like to know what size of the payment would you require assuming I would agree to release the intellectual property to you so you can monetize the new feature and offer an alternative to a fast-growing service Swiftype.com which we are considering (they have $24/month subscription to a service that allows adding several domains to index and serve an search results from an “aggregated” index). I can agree to pay a monthly fee, as you may require, for example for 12 months, to “finance” the development of the feature.

If you would not be interested, perhaps you can recommend a developer to contract this to. Otherwise I would have to customize your product with my two PHP/Wordpress developers (they work in our Minsk office maintaining our WordPress sites). However, I consider this option of forking as the least desirable selfish option as it doesn’t benefit your product long-term and puts us outside of upgrades.

Thank you for consideration,
    Renat

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Yes I did, sorry I forget to answer, I was a bit busy.

As much as I would love to help you, I can’t. Unfortunately I work alone as of now, and I have too many plugins and other sites (+customers) to take care of, so I don’t have any more time for other projects.

Sorry to turn you down on this one. If you want to stay somewhat compatible with the updates, then you should try to look at the code in the:

includes/search.class.php
    and
    includes/search_content.class.php

The search.class.php contains a class which is the parent of ‘other’ search classes. (like the content serach). So if you examine the the search.class.php (wpdreams_search) and search_content.class.php (wpdreams_searchContent) you will see that the wpdreams_searchContent class is derived from the wpdreams_search class. It was supposed to be abstract, but it’s not, mainly because of php compatibility and other issues.

So if you create a new class derived from the wpdreams_search class then there is a very good chance that your code will be almost fully compatible with the new updates, because the wpdreams_search class will not change for sure, and your code would be only an addition to the current search code. You can use the wpdreams_searchContent class as a sample to create your own.

Best of luck, and sorry again that I can’t participate in your project!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.