Filter Not Showing Up Properly

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Filter Not Showing Up Properly

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by nd04 nd04 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Hello,

I have bought and had installed the plugin. I had made the selections in the filter and it was showing up properly. But after one day it is not showing up properly ( website details with search filter link given in private details). I had not installed any other plugin during this period.

To find the problem I deleted the Ajax Search Pro plugin had uninstalled all the other plugin and then uploaded and re-activate Ajax Search Pro without other plugin’s. But it still was not showing up properly.

Please help out to resolve the issue.

Thanks

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I’ve checked the website, but I can see the filters correctly, and they appear to be working as well.

Is this a layout problem (coloring, width or other)?

Maybe you are referring to the block layout of the options. You probably changed the Search settings position on the Frontend Search Settings panel to “Blocking or custom”. The default is “Hovering”, try changing it back: https://i.imgur.com/isl0p7k.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Hello ,

Please check the website again as I am getting the same issue.

Thanks

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

It appears to me that you have the height of the categories boxes set to 0 on the Frontend Search Settings -> Categories & Taxonomies panel: https://i.imgur.com/vOFRGyi.png

Try changing it back to 200 and it should appear normal again.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I had changed from 0 to 200 but have kept “Blocking or custom” in panel and it is working fine right now. But I am having following problem ;

(1) I am using filter for region ( Example North America and United States under it). Now there are certain post attach to both North America & United States. When I select only United States in the filter, I do not get the post which are attach to both North America & United States. Let me know what I am missing.

(2) Also I want to put up year as one of the filter for the posts. Let me know if it is possible.

Again thanks for your prompt response.

Thanks

nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

Waiting for your response related to the problem mentioned in my previous mail.

Thanks

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. The default filter logic requires all terms to match (an “AND” type of logic). You can change that on the General Options -> Behavior panel: https://i.imgur.com/gbQtJTJ.png

The “OR” logic is much loose, it’s probably what you are looking for.

2. Filtering by date is not possible yet, unless you have a custom field set for each post with the year in it. In that case you can create a Custom Field filter for that custom field: http://goo.gl/D7RP9f

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

Just wanted to clarify my question :

Taking example of the filter given below :
    goo.gl/N81oE9

(1) I have a post which is tagged to North America & Canada at the same time. The post contain the word “Lorem” so when I type the word ” Lorem” and select North America & Canada I get the post. But if I select any one (North America or Canada) the post does’nt appear. Now if you say that only “and” logic will work here. Then can it work like this :
    (2) If I just tag the post under Canada and just select North America then it should appear, as North America & Canada is hierarchical. But this is also not working.

Let me know how I can do it as single post can be attach to two or more category/countries.

Thanks

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

If you change the logic to “OR” then:

(1) If you have the post in both North America & Canada at the same time: it will display if either of them is selected.

(2) It won’t work like that. It does not matter if they are hierarchical, it won’t make any difference – if you don’t put it into North America only into Canada, then it won’t be automatically put in North America.

What I would do:

– Select the OR logic
    – Put the post it in both North Americal & Canada

This way it will be displayed if either of them is selected. I understand what you are trying to achieve, but term hierarchy is more of a “visual” feature in WordPress.

Secondary solution

Another way perhaps is to select the parent checkbox if the child box is clicked and selected. You can add this custom javascript code to your site footer to make it happen:

<script>
    jQuery(function($) {
    $(".asp_option_cat label").click(function() {
        var $parent = $(this).parent().parent();

if ($parent.attr("asp_cat_parent") > 0 && $("input", $(this).parent()).prop("checked") == false ) {
          $(".asp_option_cat .option input[value="+$parent.attr("asp_cat_parent")+"]").prop("checked", true);
        }
    });
    });
    </script>

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko. Reason: fix
    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

If I take “or” then or logic is used between the “Filter By Category” and “Filter By Region” which should not be the case.

I think so this is shortcoming with the plugin as between the filters there should be or/and logic which you have given. But within the filters it is just “and” logic which should not be the case because if the post is tagged for two specification with the filter then it would not be pulled if both specs are not selected.

So please help me out with this.

Thanks

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I see what you mean.

Currently every term in every taxonomy is treated as one group so there is virtually no connection between the “Filter by Category” and the “Filter By Region” taxonomies. I’m rather not explain exactly why, but mostly because it has a great impact on the final search performance. Back when I did this part of the code, I had to rewrite it hundreds of times to come up with an optimal solution both on performance and usability, considering some users might have databases with over millions of records.

The good news is, that I have actually found a solution which I already implemented to the upcoming version. There is going to be an additional options, which allows you to set the logic between each taxonomy term group, as well as the term logic options is moved to the category & taxonomy panel for better comfort.

I’m making the final steps on the 4.7 release, which is going to be a huge update. Only testing remains, so I’m uploading it to codecanyon in 1-2 days, it should be available 24 hours after that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

nd04
    nd04
    Participant

Thanks and would be waiting for the update.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.