Filter taxonomy with ASP

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant

Hi, is it possible with ASP plugin to display and filter and/or search taxonomy as on this page?
    https://multimed.pl/lekarze/

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

If you mean filtering custom post types by taxonomy terms, then yes, it is possible to create a similar filter. For example:
    Staff search and example demo
    Staff search and example tutorial

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant

Excellent. Looks like what I’m looking for. Can I preload some first few post types?
    On your demo after resizing the browser to smaller screen, the filter’s answers goes behind post types.

multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant
    multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant

Hi, could please take a look at my issue? I don’t know if this can be fixed (I hope so) or I have to look for another solution. Thanks.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.

I have done a few tests, but I’m not able to tell yet what the problem is. The configuration is correct, the taxonomy seems correct as well. I have also checked the taxonomy term IDs, those are correct as well, this is very strange. I have tried to replicate the issue on my test servers, but it works on a similar scenario.

Can you please add temporary FTP access? I would like to debug through the query code.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi again,

It does not look like that the “Specjalizacje” is a registered taxonomy. I just tried to access it’s taxonomy terms, but they does not seem to exist, for example: http://mm.emm8.iq.pl/wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=specjalizacje&post_type=specjalizacje

Does this “Specjalizacje” taxonomy really exist, or is it just emulated somehow? Because if it does not exist, then it’s not possible to filter by it within the database.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh, then it may explain the issue. From what I can see the CPT-onomies plugin turns post types into taxonomies? That could mean, that the terms does not actually exist in the database (?), only some sort of relation to the post types. At least it would perfectly explain why it’s not finding them.

The taxonomy can be registered, but that does not mean that the terms exist in the database. That is probably why the link pointing to the taxonomy term page does not work, and redirects to the post type page. If these does not exist, the only way to filter them is after the search process with a custom function, which will be extremely slow – as all results have to be parsed from the database individually, as well as all categories for each post. That is probably what the LSFC plugin is doing, and why it is slow. This search filters during the search query, which is much efficient, but if the terms does not exist in the database, it fails.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Well, the best solution would be not to use any plugin to create taxonomies at all, and if possible, then not to use custom post types as taxonomies either. Taxonomies can be registered very simply in the functions.php file in the child theme directory: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/create-custom-taxonomies-wordpress/
    They explain the manual method as well, which I highly recommend. It removes a huge overhead, as you don’t need a plugin for it.

If you plan to keep it this way as it is now, let me know, I may be able to construct some sort of small custom code that would remove the original search filter code and re-filter the items after search.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

multi_med
    multi_med
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

With a small custom code snippet it is possible to order by menu order field as well:

Well, for missing images you can define a default image: https://i.imgur.com/biySYKM.png

I think tags should be okay for that.

That will not help the case I believe, as the taxonomies and terms will still not exist. It is only a way to register new virtual taxonomies based on post types.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Filter taxonomy with ASP’ is closed to new replies.