Help with _SKU search

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ljcreateAjax
    ljcreateAjax
    Participant

Hi There,

We recently upgraded from your Lite version to Pro, to help with searching custom fields. The main function we wanted was to be able to search WooCommerce SKUs. I have followed the available documentation and video tutorial on the ‘_sku’ functionality and I believe I have set it up correctly but unfortunately any searches on SKU numbers are not bringing any results.

Any assistance you can provide would be great – I am a marketer not a web designer so might not be in the best place to provide technical information. In terms of WooCommerce, the SKUs are visible within the product but none of our Product Codes (SKUs) yield results for ljcreate.com.

Many thanks
    Stewart Mills

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Stewart,

I tried a few phrases, it looks okay to me, although I can’t see your configuration: https://i.imgur.com/A8MznbM.png
    If the SKU field is selected, then the field is definitely searched, and it looks okay from my end.

Are there specific items not showing up, or specific phrases which should yield results and they don’t?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

ljcreateAjax
    ljcreateAjax
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for your reply – many of our existing customers and staff will search our site using our 5-digit product codes such as:

240-01
    290-01
    260-01
    740-01
    741-01

…with the convention being three digits / hyphen / 2 digits. This product code format is also used as the SKU on the product pages within WooCommerce. When the above (and other) codes are searched for they don’t yield any results. Searching for the title of the product seems to work fine but it seems like the SKU is not searchable?

The attached screenshot shows our Mechanisms Trainer, searching for ‘Mechanisms Trainer’ works fine but searching for 260-01 does not yield any results – the code I have circled is our Product Code and is used in the WooCommerce SKU custom field.

Many thanks
    Stewart

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you very much for the details!

I tried with these codes too, when I input them to the plugin search bar I can see the corresponding product coming up, for example: https://i.imgur.com/2TpTSGs.png
    Is the issue triggered somewhere else maybe?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

ljcreateAjax
    ljcreateAjax
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

Thanks for that, I probably need to go into a bit more detail about the original plugin and the reason for upgrading to your Pro version. Alongside a web-design agency, we redesigned our website from a Joolma site to WordPress site.

The new WordPress site used your Ajax Lite to perform searches and, originally, it was able to search custom fields to find our Product and SKU codes. We thought that maybe the ‘Custom Field’ functionality had moved from your Lite version across to the Pro version?… as the ability to find products by SKU had stopped working.

What I have done temporarily is switched the site back to the Lite version to show how the search originally worked (and how we’d ideally like it to continue to work).

Screenshot 1: Search using the magnifying glass at the top
    Screenshot 2: Search screen where code is input
    Screenshot 3: Result screen showing the search term (circled at top) and how the results are displayed. The second circle shows the product code/SKU of the product searched for. In this example, the 292-01 code searched for is also referenced in the other product pages shown which is probably why there are additional results.

So the new ‘plug-in search bar’ version of search (with the red banner in your previous screenshot) is not how the site previously worked with Ajax Lite. I don’t know if that’s something in the settings or some custom code form the agency but the ‘_SKU’ doesn’t pick up an results. Maybe our database is not being indexed correctly.

Sorry for the rather long post, if you need any clarification on anything please let me know.

Thanks for your assistance.

Stewart

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh okay I see the issue now! You mean the default search results page, not the live search.

Can you please try to select the search bar as an auto replacement here. That should tell the plugin to try to override the default search results page even if the search was not triggered by an ajax search pro search form.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

ljcreateAjax
    ljcreateAjax
    Participant

Ah, that has fixed the way the search displays results – which is great, unfortunately it’s still not picking up the SKU results for the products. It works for an occasional one, possibly due to other text on the page but I don’t think it is picking up the SKUs such as the codes mentioned earlier:
    240-01
    290-01
    260-01
    740-01
    741-01

Thanks
    Stewart

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you Stewart.

Can you please add temporary back-end and FTP access, so I can check out all of the configuration and debug if needed? If it worked with the Lite version it must work with the Pro, as they both share the same code for this feature.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

ljcreateAjax
    ljcreateAjax
    Participant

Thanks Ernest,

I need out IT team to organise this next week – It will probably be a beta version of the site but I’ll get details over to you as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Stewart

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

All right, let me know 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.