Initial Setup

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by envatomarketajax envatomarketajax 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    envatomarketajax
    envatomarketajax
    Participant

Hello,

I did my best to set it up according to my requirements being a non-techy person.

However:

1. It doesn’t show Project Category Titles on the search results page (please see the attached screenshot). The results are shown only in the drop-down list.

2. When trying to change the search bar theme, it also makes changes to the main theme’s text. It makes it bold. I only want to change the theme of the search bar and certainly not anything else in the theme. Please clarify.
    I did customize it otherwise to some extent, but just in case, I’d like to know the reason for such behavior and how to avoid it.

3. I do not see your plugin’s search bar on the Search Results page. It shows the old search bar. I’d like the old bar removed and replaced with your bar.

4. I’d like to see your plugin’s search bar also on the “no search results” page.

4.1 Also, does the drop-down results box have an endless scroll?

5. The search doesn’t filter, for example, the number 5 in the Project Category title separately (please see the screenshot). It filters the search for Chapter 5 only. I’d like all the words, numbers, or whatnot in the titles to be searchable both separately and together (if one wishes to search for a specific title).

Strangely, the numbers in parentheses within the same titles are searchable separately (please see the screenshot).

6. Shall I tweak the Relevance settings (only titles are searchable)?

7. How to make Backspace (when all input is erased) act as the x button?

7.1 How to remove the All Results drop-down box when the search input area is empty (I guess this will resolve the above question as well)?

Please see the screenshot.

________

I’d like to learn how to tweak the above points myself if possible, hence, I’m not providing you with admin access yet. If possible, I’d like to keep this support ticket private.

I appreciate your assistance and your plugin!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by envatomarketajax .
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for the details!

1. Make sure the search results override feature is enabled, that should resolve the issue

2. That should not happen whatsoever, all styles generated by the plugin are exclusively applied to the search components and nothing else. I will have to take a direct look at what exactly changed to be able to tell if there is any connection.

3. & 4. Make sure to try the automatic replacement feature. If the theme uses the recommended get_search_form() method, then it will work. Otherwise you may have to ask the theme developer how to replace those manually with the search plugin shortcode.

4.1 Yes, there is an infinite scroll feature for the live.

5. I suspect it might be related to the length of the keyword. Check if the minimum keyword lenght is set to 1: https://i.imgur.com/ipr7MQN.png

6. If only the titles are searched, then it is redundant, I would not change anything there.

7. First, make sure to set the search trigger from 0 to at least 1 input characters here: https://i.imgur.com/QcuRIOg.png
    That will prevent the search from triggering unless that number of characters were entered. It will not close the results list, when it’s empty – there is no option for that.

I found an older topic, where someone requested something similar, and I suggested a custom code for him to trigger that behavior. Try adding this code to the functions.php file in your theme/child theme directory – make sure to have a full server back-up first for safety. For more details you can check the safe coding guidelines.

add_action('wp_footer', 'wp_footer_asp_custom_script_close', 99999);
    function wp_footer_asp_custom_script_close() {
      ?>
      <script>
      jQuery(function($){
        jQuery('input.orig').on('keyup', function(e) {
          if (jQuery(this).val() == '' ) {
            ASP.api(jQuery(this).closest('.asp_w').data('id'), 'closeResults');
          }
        });
        jQuery('.asp_m').on('asp_search_end', function(e, id, instance){
          if ( jQuery('.asp_m_' + id + '_' + instance + ' input.orig').val() == '' ) {
            jQuery('.asp_r_' + id + '_' + instance).addClass('hiddend');
          } else {
            jQuery('.asp_r_' + id + '_' + instance).removeClass('hiddend');		
          }
        });
      });  
      </script>
      <?php
    }
    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

envatomarketajax
    envatomarketajax
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. Are you using any 3rd party plugin to alter the view/contents on that page? That may cause the conflict here.

2. I might be missunderstanding here something. I checked the search page, but the theme text seems to be okay at the moment. This sounds like an issue with the minification/cache, as I see there is something minifying and combining the CSS files. Is there an easy way I can replicate this issue?

4. Well, try in this case try looking for the searchform.php file in the theme directory, that usually holds the default search bar – however if that file exists, then it should be replaced automatically. If you find that file, then try to clear your site cache to make sure it is not an issue with that.

7. That should clear on the mobile devices as well, make sure to clear the device cache, that will do the trick. I just tried via one of our mobile devices, and it worked like that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

envatomarketajax
    envatomarketajax
    Participant
    envatomarketajax
    envatomarketajax
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. & 4. Please note, that 3rd party customizations are not part of plugin support. The layout of the results page is fully controlled by the theme you are using, unfortunately there is no way for a plugin to change that (except using a custom page builder of some sorts, but many themes do not support that).
    This all has to be custom coded I’m afraid, and custom CSS will not help, it is much more complicated than that.

I have looked at the template, and managed to add the search form to the search results page, that was quite simple. Please make sure to have a copy of the search.php file in your theme directory, which contains this change. Any theme update may override that, and the changes will be lost.

To display images, change the pagination, custom layouts etc.. are way beyond this support – I suggest asking a developer to make those changes to the theme via a child theme file. It should not be too difficult, and the plugin has a set of theme related functions a developer can use to get information from the search objects.
    I am more than happy to assist if there are any technical questions about the usage of the plugin API or anything simlar.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

envatomarketajax
    envatomarketajax
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.