Issues Specifically Related to Isotopic Results and Sizing

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Issues Specifically Related to Isotopic Results and Sizing

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Michael Samson Michael Samson 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I hope you’re doing well!

I wanted to follow up with you regarding the latest plugin update and the results of my testing. I thought it would be best to open a new thread here since the previous one was about other topics.

Firstly, my compliments on this latest update. I really liked the new Results Information Box feature and integrated it immediately in our design. I was also glad to see you reworked the isotopic results sizing calculations, and that is part of what I want to talk about.

I have a few separate issues to discuss, so I am numbering them below.

…..

1. Mistake in Variable Examples for Results Information Box

This is just a small correction for you to make in the variable examples for the new results information box feature. I noticed the descriptions provide the variables you can use, but they were not up to date. The descriptions show {total_results_count} instead of {results_count_total}, the latter being the correct variable (and the default). You probably updated the variable name but forgot to update the description to match.

…..

2. Question Regarding the Width/Height Units for Isotopic Results

When entering in the width and height for the isotopic results (the cards), I noticed that for the width you can provide the units (px, %, etc.), but for the height it says “px” next to the field. I took this to mean that for the height you do not enter in the units, and that it automatically is using pixels. I just want to confirm that is correct.

…..

3. Two Previous Issues Now Appear Solved with Latest Update

The more important issue was how the isotopic result cards would reduce in size on consecutive searches (if on the same page and closing and re-opening the search). It looks like this latest update may have fixed that problem. I say “may have” because I need to observe the search more before I can say this conclusively. But so far I have not seen this problem happen since updating the plugin.

I also noticed that the problem with the text color of the show more results button on mobile phones (iOS) now seems to be fixed. I don’t know if you remember this issue, but basically the text color of that button would not be correct on mobile phones until you went to the second page of search results. That issue seems to be solved with this latest update.

…..

4. Isotopic Results (Cards) Height Being Cut Short on Tablets and Phones

This issue is related to the new sizing options (Desktop, Tablet, and Phone) for the Isotopic Results (the cards). Firstly, I am really glad you improved the sizing logic, as this corrected that really awful issue with the cards shrinking in size. Unfortunately however this also introduced a new problem.

I think it was smart to add the tablet and phone sizes. I probably won’t be using them though because I want to maintain the aspect ratio of the cards. We created an image size specifically for ASP to use in search results, and based that size on your original default (300x375px). The default width/height settings for the Isotopic results are 200x250px, which is the same aspect ratio as the full size image (300x375px). Now that you have added in these additional settings for tablet and phone I have left them all set to the same size. This way the images are always the same aspect ratio no matter what device or screen size you’re on (they are simply reduced in size to fit the width of the window).

What I discovered here is that for some reason the height of the cards is being changed when viewing on a tablet or phone. Specifically this is occurring on iPads (in vertical orientation), and on iPhones (in horizontal orientation). I noticed that the result cards are being made perfectly square, even though I have the sizes set to 200x250px for all three settings. Something is forcing the heights to be cut short, making the result cards into squares.

This is a problem for us because I need the cards a little taller than wider to fit all the text. If you recall we have the extended custom titles, and the titles in general (from the posts) can be long. I spent a lot of time to make sure the titles would always fit (we worked on this together), but now with the cards cutting short the text will not always fit. Anyway, you can see this issue on the real devices, and also using the Chrome DevTools (device emulation).

One other observation is that this seems to start happening when reaching 1024px (width) and below. This affects iPads in the vertical orientation. On my iPhone 7 Plus it happens when turning it horizontal. This issue is obviously related to the new sizing calculations which are ignoring the proper height in these circumstances.

…..

5. Isotopic Results Momentarily Close/Reopen on Touch Devices / Related Disruption of Results Information Box

This last issue is really two issues, and I’ve wanted to tell you about it for some time now. This is an old issue, which just became worse with this latest update. Let me describe the first part of this problem (the original issue)…

I noticed a long time ago that when pressing the more results button on touch devices (specifically iPad and iPhone) that the isotopic results would momentarily close and reopen. The results literally vanish from the screen and then reappear. This does not happen when the next set of result pages automatically load (when reaching the last page). It only happens when pressing the more results button.

This has caused an issue for us for a long time because it has the side effect of also allowing the search box to close which is contained within our menu (in UberMenu). We wrote some custom JS that forces the sub-menu that contains the search box to remain open so long as the search results is present on the screen. This way the user can continue typing into the search box after the search results load. We had to force this because otherwise the menu would close automatically and the search box would be gone along with it.

This first issue I described above causes the menu and search box to close because the search results momentarily close and re-open. Our script only keeps the menu open while the search results are on the screen.

As of this latest update there is now a secondary problem attached to this…

I noticed that when the search results disappear and reappear (as described above) that this also disrupts the new Results Information Box feature. It causes the results counts to be incorrect. Here is an example. I run a search and it says results (90 of 295). If I then press the more results button it says (90 of 0) after the results reload. By contrast this does not happen if you reach the last page of search results and it automatically loads the next set. This proves the problem is related to the momentary closing/reopening of the search results.

One last thing I noticed is that this second issue (with the results info box) is only occurring on my mobile phone (iOS), but not on my iPad Pro. The first issue with the closing/reopening of the results is occurring on both devices.

I hope this clearly describes the problem. I should have told you about this a long time ago, but we were working on many other things.

…..

Ok, so that is everything I had to tell you about. Sorry these descriptions became long, but I wanted to make sure you clearly understood the behaviors involved.

All my best,

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your feedback, it helps me a lot.

1. Indeed, I will correct that.

2. Yes, that is intentional, as percentage height in this context means ‘in relation to the container’, but the container height is not fixed, so it would be 0 all the time. I am working to implement a way to allow % values relative to the item width/container width.

4. I believe this is due to a mistake I made during the implementation, where the tablet height value is actually reset to 200px. It was reported a bit earlier. During the copy/pasting 1 character was not selected, so a non-existent option is parsed, and the plugin resets it back to default, which is 200px.

5. This was the case in earlier releases, but in a recent release I fixed this, so that the isotopic container does not need to reset anymore on orientation or window width/height changes. You also mentioned that the info box message is incorrect in some cases, which is mostly parsed from item visibility. I am almost positive, that both of these are going to be related to another custom CSS rule, just like that other issue before.
    You can also try the demo as comparision test to see if this behavior exists there, but I am almost sure it shouldn’t.

Do you have by any chance a collection of the custom CSS rules you use in relation with Ajax Search Pro? If you do please copy/paste it here or to a gist file, and I will test them to see if they cause any similar conflicts.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I’m always happy to provide feedback because you always fix the problems! You are seriously the most attentive plugin author I have ever come across, and I’m grateful for it! =)

1. Mistake in Variable Examples for Results Information Box

Indeed, I will correct that.

Sounds good!

…..

2. Question Regarding the Width/Height Units for Isotopic Results

Yes, that is intentional, as percentage height in this context means ‘in relation to the container’, but the container height is not fixed, so it would be 0 all the time. I am working to implement a way to allow % values relative to the item width/container width.

Thanks for clearing that up. I only need to define the height in pixels anyway, but was curious about this.

…..

I believe this is due to a mistake I made during the implementation, where the tablet height value is actually reset to 200px. It was reported a bit earlier. During the copy/pasting 1 character was not selected, so a non-existent option is parsed, and the plugin resets it back to default, which is 200px.

I’m glad this was an easy issue to identify. I see you posted a plugin update today that fixes this. I’ll install the update tomorrow and will test it, and then confirm for you its fixed. Thanks!

…..

5. Isotopic Results Momentarily Close/Reopen on Touch Devices / Related Disruption of Results Information Box

This was the case in earlier releases, but in a recent release I fixed this, so that the isotopic container does not need to reset anymore on orientation or window width/height changes. You also mentioned that the info box message is incorrect in some cases, which is mostly parsed from item visibility. I am almost positive, that both of these are going to be related to another custom CSS rule, just like that other issue before.
    You can also try the demo as comparision test to see if this behavior exists there, but I am almost sure it shouldn’t.

Do you have by any chance a collection of the custom CSS rules you use in relation with Ajax Search Pro? If you do please copy/paste it here or to a gist file, and I will test them to see if they cause any similar conflicts.

I should mention that this is happening only when pressing the more results button on touch devices. You mentioned changing the window dimensions or orientation, and that is not the trigger here. It seems to be related to the pressing of the button only.

Ok, so I just tested your demo site as suggested, and believe it or not the problem is occurring there as well. I went to your isotopic page using my iPhone 7 Plus. The search was a little difficult to use because it wasn’t properly sized to the window, but I was able to see what happens when pressing the More Results button. I did a search for “car” which brings up a few pages of results. As soon as I pressed the More Results button the isotopic results momentarily closed/re-opened just as is occurring on my site. So it looks like this may be unrelated to my css after all. As far as the other issue with the incorrect count in the info box, that feature isn’t enabled on your demo site. But I think it’s safe to say the same problem would have occurred.

I can send you my custom css file for ASP (it’s a separate file), but this forum doesn’t allow attaching of css files. Can I email it to you directly if necessary?

This is one of those really insidious issues that I hate. But I’m confident you’ll get it solved!

Have a great day/night Ernest!

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the details!

5. You are right! I was checking on two different Huawei devices, but those worked fine. When I tried on an iPhone, that indeed closes momentarily, when I click on that. I guess it’s an IOS/touch thing after all.
    I have noted this and will definitely fix it in the upcoming release. Thanks again!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I’m really glad I helped you to identify this issue. The irony is that I’ve known about it for about 6 months. In fact, I had it reported to my own development team not realizing it was an ASP core bug. Frankly I’m not surprised this is occurring in iOS but is fine everywhere else. We deal with iOS specific issues here all the time, and they usually are touch-device related. Touch events in general are very nuanced and different device to device, as I am sure you know.

It will be great to see this fixed in the near future. Once you release that update please let me know so I can test it. I’ll get back to you shortly regarding this latest update and the fix for #4.

All my best,

~ Michael

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I just wanted to let you know that I have updated the plugin and tested this issue in my local site (using DevTools). It looks like this issue is now resolved. The search result cards were in the correct size/ratio (no more squares). Later today I’ll deploy the changes to our dev site and then can test on a real mobile device. But so far so good! =)

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you for the feedback Michael! Issue #5 is left then, expect a fix in the upcoming release.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I just checked Issue #4 on both my iPad Pro and my iPhone 7 Plus, and the problem is definitely solved. All verified!

So yes, Issue #5 is what is left. A few interesting details for you…

This issue occurs on both my iPhone 7 Plus and also on my iPad Pro, in that the ajax results window momentarily closes and reopens when pressing the button to load more results. But only on my iPhone does this result in disrupting the Results Info box numbering. Also, it is only on my iPhone that this causes the search box to close (disrupting our custom script meant to keep it open).

I have also noticed one other thing unrelated to this…

I’ve seen the numbering in the Info Box feature be incorrect by 1-3 items often when reaching the final page of results. Sometimes the total provided will be slightly higher or slightly lower than the number of results it can load. So far it has only been a small discrepancy, but I thought it best to tell you anyway.

So I look forward to seeing #5 fixed, and will of course help you to test it on the real devices here (iOS).

Have a great rest of your weekend!

~ Michael

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I hope you’re doing well!

I wanted to check in with you regarding Issue #5, as this just came up with my own development team. I had originally reported this issue to them, and now told them this was being corrected in ASP core.

If you’re wondering we are running a few weeks late here with the launch, but the work is proceeding well and we are very close!

All my best,

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

I can confirm, the issue is still present. I was on a week vacation, then moved offices, so the next update is still under development with a major delay. The resolution will be included in that, as soon as it’s finished 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I know the issue is still present… 😉

That’s no problem on the delay. I was just checking in.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation! (wish I could take one)…

~ Michael

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I updated the plugin today and have confirmed that this issue is now resolved. I tested it on both my iPhone and iPad Pro. The ajax results now stay open when pressing the more results button. This solved the interrelated problem with the results information box, as well as the issue with our custom JS to keep the search menu open.

I did notice one small difference in behavior and wanted to ask you if it was by design. The feature that automatically loads the next batch of search results when reaching the last ajax page is only working on desktops now. When testing this on my iPhone and iPad Pro if you reached the last page of results nothing happened. Further, if you pressed the arrow button to go to the next page of results it would just go back to page 1. The only way I could load additional results on these devices was by pressing the more results button.

Thank you for fixing this issue… I’m glad to see it finally solved!

P.S. Our launch date was postponed until May 1st…

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I’m glad it works now. I will investigate the auto-loading feature issue before the upcoming bugfix patch, it must be a minor issue due to the adjustments.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Sounds good! I’m glad I noticed that small issue so you can address it.

We’re just a few short weeks away from the launch now, and then you can finally see our implementation of ASP! =)

~ Michael

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I just updated the plugin today and wanted to follow up on this one remaining issue:

I did notice one small difference in behavior and wanted to ask you if it was by design. The feature that automatically loads the next batch of search results when reaching the last ajax page is only working on desktops now. When testing this on my iPhone and iPad Pro if you reached the last page of results nothing happened. Further, if you pressed the arrow button to go to the next page of results it would just go back to page 1. The only way I could load additional results on these devices was by pressing the more results button.

There’s no immediate rush on this. I just didn’t want you to forget about it.

Hope all is well by you!

P.S. Our launch date was pushed off a few days. We’re now aiming for May 5th!

~ Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.