Many problems with results

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Many problems with results

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10899
    JoshHH
    JoshHH
    Participant

    Dear Ernest,
    I still have some major problems with Ajax Search Pro and I just don’t understand. I’ll try to make myself as clear as possible (and it’s an urgent matter, many people are depending on this for their work, so I feel a bit lost).

    I have staff posts and staf pages. On both posts and pages I have custom fields Postcodes. In these custom fields I placed all the postal codes that belong to a staff member. This used to work absolutely great, but since last upgrade everything is messy and whenever I change something, it looks as though there is more mess coming. I mean, I only want one result and sometimes 2 or sometimes 4 results come up. And some staff member pages are not recognized while there is no p[roblem with others and as far as I can see the settings are exactly the same.
    I made a username for you. I hope you can have a look and I hope that you understand what I mean.

    Kind regards and you help will be very appreciated….

    Josh Haijer

    #10902
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Everything looks okay to me, except for the result limits. I guess you had a much older version installed, whereas the result limit option was changed in one of pervious updates. Now it is possible to set the limit per content type. I’ve changed the post type limit to 1, as you only need 1 result at the time. ( you can change that on the General Options -> Limits panel).

    I could not find any page related issues though. I’ve tried some postal codes randomly, like 7797 or 7798 or 1461 but returned the correct and expected result as far as I can see.

    Do you know a specific search phrase or a page which is not working as it should? If you know an example or more examples of search phrase/expected results, let me know.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #10906
    JoshHH
    JoshHH
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    #10909
    JoshHH
    JoshHH
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    #10910
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Yes, I’m working on it at this moment, and I was just about to write that I will need FTP access as well.

    There is something very fishy going on here. For example this post: http://www.dekeukenvernieuwers.nl/keukenrenovatie/peter-heesen/
    Has a duplicate “postcode” field with different values, which I’m not sure how it’s even possible. Even if I turn on the search in all custom fields, it does not connect the values. This might be one of the causes, but I’m not sure.

    I would like to see and modify the search code, namely the finaly query before it’s executed, as I have a feeling something might be conflicting there. That will probably tell where the problem is.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #10911
    JoshHH
    JoshHH
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    #10912
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Hi!

    I think I have found the problems and probably solved them all. It was an unfortunate combination of incorrect configration and an unknown bug.

    The main reason was that the ordering was set to the “postcode” custom field descending. Normally, this would work, however in your case there are items which have multiple custom fields by the same name, and the search code had a bug not limiting it to 1 when ordering. I’ve fixed the bug, but I also turned back the ordering to “relevance” as in your case the ordering by custom field won’t do anything at all. Having multiple custom fields with the same name on the same post is not a problem, it turns out, you don’t need to change that. 🙂

    This solved almost all the issues you described except for one. When I tried to search “5766” there were no results. Then I figured out that the result expected is a “page” post type, but the search in pages is disabled. So I’ve enabled that as well.

    I’ve also turned off the search in content and search in title, which will only cause problems here – as the content also contains a lot of IDs and numbers from Visual Composer.

    Since you only need to search the codes, the final configuration is only to search the “postcodes” custom field within pages, posts and staff. This should work correctly now. Let me know if you find anything.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #10916
    JoshHH
    JoshHH
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    #10917
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    You are very welcome Josh, it was my pleasure to help you 🙂 Thank you very much for your kind words, I’m very happy if my work is useful for others – that is my main motivation to make my portfolio better every day.

    I will leave this topic open, in case you notice anything weird.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.