Media search results

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steel Rat
    Steel Rat
    Participant

The media search results are ugly and uninformative. No thumbnail is shown (except in the “lookahead” search as the user is typing). How can I return media results that show a thumbnail and are formatted in a visually appealing way? I don’t see options for results formatting, but there are so many, and it’s confusing, so I could have missed them.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

I assume you are reffering to the search results page right?

That is unfortunately out of the control of the plugin. Themes are usually not very well prepared to display results other than posts/pages, as default WordPress search only does that. While Ajax Search Pro tries to add the title/content and image hooks wherever possible, it is up to the theme search archive template to display the results.

If your theme comes with a results page customizer, then I recommend checking that, some themes have options to show media files on the results page and options to customize that layout.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Steel Rat
    Steel Rat
    Participant

Disappointing.

Tried searching on how to change the theme’s search results, giant rabbit hole, eventually ending in paid plugins.

So, we’ll forget that.

Early on with this plugin, I was getting images in the lookahead results, but somehow lost them and haven’t been able to get them back. Can you give me the basics on how to get images in the results?

Thanks for your time.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Sure!

Make sure the images are enabled here, and this option is enabled as well.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Steel Rat
    Steel Rat
    Participant

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I didn’t see an email notification.

I have all of those options enabled, and even rebuilt the Index Table. It finds the media items, but only displays titles and and descriptions.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

My mistake, you are referring to the results page. Unfortunately that is out of the plugins control, some themes can fetch the media item thumbnails, some don’t.
    There is a way to get the same images on the theme results page, but it requires some coding for sure.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Steel Rat
    Steel Rat
    Participant

No, I’m talking about the results you get as you’re typing. They used to show images along with the title and description, but stopped for some reason. I was changing a lot of things, and have no idea what made that go away.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.