Multiple keyword search & default unchecking filter

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Multiple keyword search & default unchecking filter

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucaspoignonnec
    lucaspoignonnec
    Participant

Hi

I am developing a case / projects feature for an advertising company in Belgium. I just bought your plugin and I am really overwhelmed by all the options at the moment. Before buying the plugin, I must have tried the Live Demo atleast a dozen times. I was really convinced that it was possible to use multiple keywords (from different taxonomies) in the search field. As an example:

First I type ‘Festival’ -> It shows me a list of all the custom post types with the taxonomy term ‘Festival’.
    After that I thought you could type a second or third keyword to filter the search results even more.
    So like: ‘Festival Coca-Cola’ to see all the custom posts related to Coca Cola (another taxonomy term) on a festival. I’ve read some posts on your forum saying this is impossible with the plugin. The Live demo showing the AND operator really insinuated that this is possible.. I’ve used other ‘filter’ plugins for webshops and there they use this thing called ‘Adoptive filtering’, which eliminates options when you filter on one term.

Second, I have the feeling that you tried to fix this by adding the filter option to the plugin. Seems fair. But I seem to have a different view on how a filter should work. When I use the filter option, all my taxonomy terms are already selected. Which means that if I want to filter on one term, I need to deselect all the other ones. In standard filter plugins, none of the terms are selected and you click on a term to narrow down the results. In this case, you need to deselect a lot of terms to narrow down the results. Seems awkward to me.

I was hoping you could give me more insights in this matter. I tested the LIVE demo thoroughly and I have been testing the plugin for 2.5 hours now after purchasing it. Don’t want to spend more hours on research and reading docs if these features are not included in the plugin. No disrespect intended. I’m really amazed at the amount of customization and work you put into this plugin. It’s just that my clients want a search bar that is ultra filterable 🙂

Thanks!

Lucas Poignonnec

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Lucas,

Adaptive filtering is indeed not yet possible. It’s something I really want to implement, but at the current state it’s just nearly impossible. My plan is to make a re-work for the plugin once I get there, to make dynamically updating filters possible. The major role of this plugin is still searching, but in the last couple of years all kinds of filters became very popular – and since this search is on the market for 5 years now, I slowly have to correct the course, and of course be careful not to break the plugin with a potential update for all the previous customers.

Once again, I’m very sorry, but this is not yet possible, but definitely will be. There are many, many updates planned for this plugin this year as well.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh, and I forgot to answer you other question regarding the keywords. That actually is adjustable, by changing the keyword logics on the General Options -> Logics & Behavior panel: https://i.imgur.com/ymDzSuH.png

So, by default you will see the ‘OR’ logic selected as the primary keyword logic. That one is the least restrictive, it’s basically the more words you type, the more results you get. The AND logics are the ones you are looking for – it means that all words have to match, more information you will find here: https://goo.gl/TkGtbt

You should also consider using the index table engine, as it affects the keyword logic positively. The basic difference is that with the Regular engine (default) for each source field the keyword logic is applied separately, while with the Index table engine all source fields are treated as one ‘big’ field.

As an example: You have an item with the title ‘lorem ipsum‘ and a category where it belongs titled ‘dolor amet‘. Now, if you have the ‘AND’ logic chosen, and type in more than one keyphrase, each of these phrases must match, in order to return this as a result. If you type in ‘lorem dolor’ however it will not match with the regular engine – because ‘lorem’ matches the title and the ‘dolor’ matches the category name, but since these are separate fields, there is no (usable) way of checking cross-field matching. To bypass this issue, I have implemented a secondary engine, with a separate keyword to occurence database. It’s similar technique to what the plugin Relevanssi uses.

I know it’s a lot of information there, I tried to detail everything in the documentation. But I’m happy to answer any questions you have.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.