Need some best-practice tip with index table

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Need some best-practice tip with index table

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    patriziord
    patriziord
    Participant

Hi,

I’m building a professionals index website, such as lists of psychologists, nutritionals, life coaches, and so on, your plugin will so be fundamental, when the project will work at full speed.
    At this moment I’m almost ready for the beta version to launch, and I got a few professional profiles online to make tests with – less than 10.
    I read and understood how Index table search engine works and I’m really going to use it; anyway, as for now I got a few Custom Post Types – one each profession – more will come in the near future, and a few professionals / posts, is it good to generate an Index table right now, or would it be better if I make it build when the CPT’s database will be more “populated”?

I read that it also updates and there’s no action needed, but I’m worried mainly about what could happen if I make big changes like deleting, renaming some CPT and / or insert a completely new one with a lot of posts.

Thanks in advance,

Patrizio

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Patrizio,

There is no bad time to generate the index table. If the database gets more populated you can click the “continue indexing” button instead and the plugin will look for non-indexed elements.

If the importing method you use triggers the “save_post” or “wp_insert_post” or “delete_post” hooks, then the imported element is going to be indexed. If this is not the case, and you are worried that manual indexing would generate too much load, then there is a CRON option on the Advanced Options panel on the index table option. You can turn off the automatic indexing there as well and let the CRON job handle the task. It does only a few items per execution, not all the non-indexed. There is no best way of doing this, I recommend trying different ways, to see which works out for you the best.

About bulk deleting the posts: In most cases (like when the post is just deleted from the database directly), the “delete_post” hook is not executed so the index table might be left with posts which no longer exist. In this case I highly recommend generating a new index.
    I’m working on a analyzer function for the upcoming release, which will allow automatically/manually checking the index table for unreported deleted post type objects.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

patriziord
    patriziord
    Participant

I’ve rarely seen a complete and useful answer from any support team nor developer himself, like yours!
    Saving your tips for future development, I now can proceed without worries anymore; I will surely take in consideration the CRON feature when the project database will become large enough.
    Thank you very much Ernest!

All the best,

Patrizio

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by patriziord patriziord.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Need some best-practice tip with index table’ is closed to new replies.