Previous Search Strings Appearing on Page Load

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Previous Search Strings Appearing on Page Load

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Michael Samson Michael Samson 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I’ve been encountering a new issue lately in ASP that is starting to worry me. This seems to be an intermittent problem, but I’m not sure. I’m finding that every now and then a previous search term appears in the search on page load. In other words, the search term is typed into the search field when the page loads. Whenever this happens the search doesn’t function at all. The search won’t run, and you can’t even open the search settings. The only way to clear this is by going to a completely different page. Even reloading the page doesn’t work, as the same search term is there on page load.

I’m seeing this occur especially when logging out or logging in. I haven’t established an exact pattern yet, but this is definitely occurring. A few days ago when I first saw this I cleared by browser cache which seemed to clear out this problem. But it has returned again multiple times.

Have you seen this kind of issue before?

~ Michael

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I just did a major deployment to our production site and this issue in ASP is now there as well. I was seeing this before in our development site. So apparently this issue is associated with fairly new code.

What’s more alarming is this is now happening on practically every search I do. Once I run a search on a page, the search term kind of gets stuck on that page. You can see this happening on eruditely.com right now.

We definitely need to solve this, as it renders the search nearly unusable.

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looks like it is a minor issue with the browser pop-state function (when using the datepicker with a specific configuration). For now, if you turn it off here, it should resolve it, until I release a bugfix.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thank you for the quick reply and analysis of this issue. While it may be a minor bug, it caused a really nasty issue.

You were correct about the “Remember search phrase and options” feature. As soon as I turned that off this problem disappeared. So there does appear to be a bug with it.

I’m not completely sure we actually need this feature turned on. I understand what it does, but if someone clicks the back button, is it really that big a deal if their search settings are reset? I’m thinking this isn’t a big issue, as there’s only so many search options anyway and they’re easy to change.

And yes, we do use the datepicker in our search options as you know. I have it set to search within the last 5 years of records by default. I’ve always felt the date picker is a very powerful tool, and I’m glad it’s part of the options.

All my best,

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you Michael for the confirmation, I will release a bugfix later today. In the most recent releases that option is turned off by default, that is why it went undetected during our tests.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Sounds good Ernest. I’m glad I was able to find this bug for you.

When you have a plugin as complex as ASP, it starts to become impossible to know about every bug right away. Believe me, I deal with this kind of thing 24/7 for Eruditely. There’s always a new bug you didn’t know about! 😉

I’ll keep my eye out for that update!

All my best,

~ Michael

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.