Product variations don't appear in search results

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Product variations don't appear in search results

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wildguitars06
    wildguitars06
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I hope you’re doing well!

There was recently a massive update for the theme that we use on our website (Woodmart), which introduced a new feature that allows us to display variations as single products in the shop. This is a feature I was looking to implement via a third-party plugin so I was very happy that the theme developer has now built it into the theme.

Anyway, I enabled the feature on our staging website (https://dev2.wildguitars.co.il) and while the variations are displayed as single products in the shop and categories, in the search results only the parent product is displayed.I discuss this with the theme developer and he replied:

“You have a custom search form in the header and it looks like it doesn’t work as you expected. When we tested our theme’s built-in search form it worked correctly. You can try contacting the plugin developer for help since it seems to be not compatible with single variations displayed as products.”

Here is an example:

In the following category, on the second row you will see the two variations of a product called Positive Grid Spark MINI.
    https://dev2.wildguitars.co.il/product-category/מגברים/מגברים-לגיטרה-חשמלית/מגברים-קומבו-לגיטרה-חשמלית/

But, when you search for the product, you only see the parent product:
    https://dev2.wildguitars.co.il/?post_type=product&s=spark+mini&asp_active=1&p_asid=1&p_asp_data=1&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1922&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1921&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1919&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1917&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1916&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1915&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1914&termset%5Bproduct_cat%5D%5B%5D=1920&filters_initial=1&filters_changed=0&qtranslate_lang=0&woo_currency=ILS&current_page_id=1954763

I’d appreciate your assistance with this. If you need to turn off the “show variation as single product’ feature, you can do so here:
    Theme Settings -> Shop -> Variable products -> Variation as product
    Here you have the ability to both show single variations as products, and hide the parent products.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Best regards,
    Tom

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

Make sure the product variations are selected for search.
    Also, if you are using taxonomy term filters (like product categories) – that could get problematic as variations are not associated with them. You will either have to disable of use all of the categories – otherwise they may get excluded.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

wildguitars06
    wildguitars06
    Participant

Hi Ernest, thanks as always for your prompt reply and I apologize for not thinking of adding the variations to the search source. Honestly I haven’t really touched the settings of this plugin since we launched our website, and the company that built the site for us did the initial configuration.

I added the variations to the search source, and the variations now appear in the search results. But, the parent products still appear. Is there a way to hide parent products and only display the variations? Simple products, bundled products, etc should of course appear normally.

Best regards,
    Tom

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

That is a tough one, products may need to appear to trigger the search query, but I am not sure.
    Have you tried removing the products from the sources, leaving only the variations?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

wildguitars06
    wildguitars06
    Participant

I’ve just tried that (after you recommended it), and while it solves the issue for variable products, simple products are now no longer displayed (for obvious reason). So unfortunately this solution won’t work. Perhaps this is something you can solve in a future update? Meaning separate sources for simple products, variable products, grouped products, etc.?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Okay, there is still hope though. Can you try one more thing?
    On the advanced options there is a way to exclude product types – so in theory if you exclude the variable type, then all products should be included, except the variables.
    Let’s hope the product_variation post type is not categorized with the product type taxonomy, otherwise it will exclude those as well.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

wildguitars06
    wildguitars06
    Participant

It seems to have done the trick! Now simple products appear as they should in the search results, and only the variations of the variable products appear. 🙂 You have been very helpful, thanks Ernest!

Best regards,
    Tom

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.