Question about non-exact search matches

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Question about non-exact search matches

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vincentg
    vincentg
    Participant

Good day,

Loving your plugin so far, however, I have a question regarding the fuzzy matching aspect of the search plugin.

I have a woocommerce product that contains the words ‘gold wing’ in the content.

My client would like it so that if a user types ‘goldwing’ then the above product is displayed as a result – is there a way to configure the plugin to get this to work? Currently any partial search terms like ‘gol’, ‘gold’, ‘wing’ will all return the desired result, however, ‘goldwing’ doesn’t return a match.

Thanks you very much – regards,

C

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words!

This is unfortunately not possible automatically – as it would require some advanced word recognition service of some sort to be able to tell if the search phrase is actually meaningful if split to N parts. For example, in this case to recognize that “goldwing” could be split into 2 sensible words. I believe so far only a very few major search engines (like google) are capable of that (at a very high cost).

If the case was the opposite, finding “gold wing” within the text that contains “goldwing”, that is very easily possible, and by default the plugin is looking for such matches.

The best possible alternative solution is to use the Additional search tags for this post option for that product, which you can find at the bottom of each product edit page on the back-end: https://i.imgur.com/R1jiuyq.png
    There you can enter additional words, which the plugin will be able to search for.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

vincentg
    vincentg
    Participant

Thanks for your answer,

I figured this might be the case. I think term searching might be the best possible solution – obviously not as useful to the end user as Google’s search algorithm but it would be pretty ridiculous to expect that on a website.

Thanks for the idea!

C

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Question about non-exact search matches’ is closed to new replies.