Questions Regarding Advanced Title Fields

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Questions Regarding Advanced Title Fields

This topic contains 41 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Michael Samson Michael Samson 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Well, I think maybe. During the loop ajax request must be sent to the server back and forth. If I knew what’s in the response of those requests, I might be able to tell what the problem is.

To check the ajax responses, hit F12 on your browser to open up the development tools and navigate to the network panel and click the XHR button, it should look like this (I am using Chrome for this): https://i.imgur.com/auuF09v.png
    This will filter ajax requests sent and recieved from the server. Now, with the tools open, refresh the page and do the search with the looping issue, and each loop you should see a request appear in the list as admin-ajax.php (or ajax_search.php), like so: https://i.imgur.com/nndd7yn.png
    Stop the issue, so that the requests stop as well (navigating back one page on the results list), and click on one of the last requests that was created by the loop. Some new tabs will appear, and click on the Response panel: https://i.imgur.com/wk4Ym9O.png

The text/HTML you see on that panel is what I need, please copy & paste that into a text file. You can do the same thing for some of the other requests generated by the loop as well (just put them to separate files). One request should be sufficitent though.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

This sounds like a plan. I’ve been working a very long night so I am going to do this first thing tomorrow for you. Hopefully we can figure out the cause of this with some coordination. Please check for a response from me tomorrow, and thanks for sticking with me on this one!

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Sure, let me know 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed.
    The response data is perfectly fine though, it contains all the information needed. I can replicate almost this same exact response (only the keywords are different, but the structure is the same), and the search stops immediately after the first try.
    I conclude this is not a script issue then, it must be either CSS or something else.

I don’t quite recall, but is there any custom CSS in use affecting the ‘show more results’ container? I’m asking, because the script determines the loading via the show more container visibility, which is changed via the script, but it can be overwritten with a custom CSS rule.

In case you have any custom CSS rules, on the show more container, rules containing something like p.showmore or .showmore or p.showmore a, where the display property is changed, maybe something like:

display: block !important;

..or:

display: inline-block !important;

..or any other value on the display property within that rule, then this property must be removed for sure, as it will cause this problem. The other properties are fine, just this one forces the block to be visible all times, which is not okay.
    I can’t think of any other possible explanation, I hope this is it.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I’m glad we tried this, because the problem is now solved! You were right in your assumption about the cause being the display property. I had display: block !important; on the p.showmore element. As soon as I removed that this problem disappeared.

I am extremely thorough with my css and almost always define the display property. Add to this that I use !important on every property in my custom css file to make it the authoritative file (it’s my methodology).

I also have display: inline-block !important; on the “p.showmore a” element, and needed to keep that as the inline-block helps me to control the button width. The problem seems to have been limited to the p.showmore element only. I assume I am ok keeping it on the “p.showmore a” element?

Thank you for figuring this out for me. I usually keep an eye out on inline css to make sure I don’t override dynamic css like this, but I missed this one.

So at this point the only thing left in this thread is this item below. I am copying it here so I don’t forget about it.

…..

Missing Label Options for Filter by Format and Filter by Categories

Thank you for letting me know. I will have to cross-check this as well, and make sure to include the options missing in the next release.

I’ve listed this here again so we don’t forget about it. I also wanted to let you know that what is specifically missing are the label text options for Filter by Format and Filter by Categories. Both of these are under this settings screen: Front-End Search Settings > Categories & Taxonomy Terms. I think the reason this was never included is because both of these filters are setup in the same screen.

…..

Thanks again for going above and beyond! You really are the best! =)

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Just letting you know, that I did read your reply, and did not forgot about the post format label issue. A minor release is planned for 2nd of January, I am rather not releasing it sooner due to the holydays.

Also, the ‘p.showmore a’ rule will not affect the output, the plugin only checks the ‘p.showmre’ ancestor, so that is perfectly fine.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the confirmation, and I appreciate your thoroughness. I’ll watch for the next update as always.

Happy holidays to you! =)

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your wishes, I hope you had a great holiday. I am working on the next update, and as I was checking the ‘missing post format label and category label options’, I have found that they are actually there: https://i.imgur.com/TygR4u7.png
    I must have mistaken when checking initially. I am not sure if this is the same issue you are reffering to. I though I would let you know, in case you are reffering to something else.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

It’s good to hear from you, as yes, I had a good new years’ (although I worked right through it). 😉

Thanks for following up on this. You’re absolutely correct. These are the labels I was looking for. I just didn’t notice the “Change Display Mode” button, even though I had set it up in the past (when adding the Select All check-boxes). I just changed the label as I needed.

Now that I’m looking at these additional settings I’m going to experiment a little with the various display formats. I’m curious to see what they can do, although I’m pretty happy with the default format we’re currently using.

These next few weeks are going to be very hectic for me. The launch is planned for March 1st (we had to push it off one month). But we should be ready by that date. I’ll definitely let you know (and the rest of the world) when Eruditely goes live. I’m particularly looking forward to seeing what you think, and hope you’ll join as well!

I just specked out a new project for the ASP integration that will allow users to subscribe to topics (tags) directly from the search results. We probably won’t get to this for a while, but it is on the drawing board. The search is in many ways the heart of the site.

Anyway, thank you for following up and the amazing as always service! =)

P.S. I stuck with the existing display settings. I’m using the check-boxes, which have always looked great with some fine-tuning.

~ Michael

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you for the feedback Michael, I am noting this issue fixed then.

I think I have also managed to fix the issue with the isotopic results column width. I am adding 2 new width options to some of the sections (including the isotopic results width), a phone and tablet width option. During the implementation I had to re-test&re-work most of the column calculation section, where I found a possible issue – when in some cases a changing screen width would affect the results width, where it was not supposed to. That would perfectly explain the issue you had. I have corrected that, and also greatly improved the isotopic layout rendering, mostly for mobile devices, on screem orientation changes and such..
    It will be released within 48 hours, only minor fixes left, here and there.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Michael Samson
    Michael Samson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Sorry for the delay in my response. We’ve been without power here since Saturday night due to a very bad wind storm. We just got power back last night thankfully. So now I am catching up on everything.

I’m glad you remembered about the isotopic issue as this was never fixed. The problem was that the isotopic cards would shrink in size when running consecutive searches on the same page, and in a few other situations as well.

I know you released the update and I will install it shortly. I have to catch up on a few other things first, so it may be another few days before I get to this task. When I install the update I’ll test everything and will let you know if it solved this particular issue.

One thing I am a little worried about is heavy changes that can effect the UI of the plugin. I’ve spent a lot of time customizing our UI, so any substantial changes could break many things. Hopefully most of what you changed was on the back-end. I am interested to see these new mobile settings. I’ll explore everything you did and will definitely let you know what I think.

Thank you as always for continuously improving everything.

Talk soon,

~ Michael

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.