Random results

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by willgreeny59 willgreeny59 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

Hello,

I noticed that the logic and behaviour on my site (poemanalysis.com) is very poor – it takes possibly 4-5 words to sometimes get matches, and before that, most of the matches are quite random and unrelated. Is there a way to improve the logic behaviour for results?

Kind regards,

Will

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Will,

I recommend checking the primary/secondary keyword logic and the index table documentation.

If you have a larger number of results, then using a more strict keyword logic setup is advised, I recommend this: https://i.imgur.com/UxUQoKj.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for this information. I have the rules currently set to this – is there any way of improving the results further?

Kind regards,

Will

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Well, that should be as relevant as possible, reflecting the keyword counts and everything. Depending on your scenario, you can make adjustments on the relevance multiplier values here: https://i.imgur.com/Rn2eCzk.png

Increase them on the fields, which are important to you, and decrase on the ones less important.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

The issue seems to persist when ‘the’ is used. For example, you can see the search bar understands what I am searching for in the suggestion in the search text field, but the results are not even showing it? Is it possible to fix this?

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

It does not make sense considering the keyword ‘son’ and ‘journey’ are not on any of the results?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Those are just the titles, the “son” and “journey” are probably matched within a different selected field (title, excerpt, custom fields etc..)
    It might be also a good idea to turn on the keyword exceptions, to filter out some common words. Once changing that, don’t forget to re-create the index table.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

The ‘son’ and ‘journey’ are in the title fields too. Let’s take the ‘journey’ example. Even with ‘the journey by mary’ searched for, it is only the 4th result???:

I have to spell out the title word-for-word for it to go to the top of the results:

If I search for just ‘journey’ it appears straight to the top.

This just does not make sense to me on any level. What is the fix for this?

The site can be tested if you want to check it out here.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

It is impossible to tell only by looking unfortunately. By default configuration, that should be the first for sure, as title queries matching the start of the string are always prioritized. But there are other factors – like relevance value changes, priority and group priority changes, post type custom ordering etc..
    Can you please add temporary FTP and back-end access, so I can check the configuration directly and debug the query if neccessary? Thank you!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

Hi Ernest, would it be easy for WordPress login details?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Well, wordpress login might no be enough, as I may need to debug the queries as well. If you can add wordpress login only, then let’s try that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you very much!

I did an intensive debugging session, and use the WP File manager plugin as well, since you had it pre-installed. I found an actual issue within the query results comparision script. It was a tiny mistake, but caused big trouble. I could not replicate it on our test servers as it was specific to configuration and to a result size above a limit.

I made a tiny change to the search algorithm to correct that mistkake. If I’m correct, the results should be ordered correctly by their relevance, and the title matches should be atop of all of them.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

willgreeny59
    willgreeny59
    Participant

Ah yes, that seems to have fixed it, thank you so much for doing this!

I’m glad it was a fixable bug in the end. Would it require patching or a specific criteria to remove such a bug? Nervous it could come back again.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

You are welcome!

We will implement this fix in the upcoming release for sure, so you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.