Refund Request

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    occra
    occra
    Participant

Hello,

I thought I had done a lot of research and thought your plugin was the thing I needed. Now that I’ve gotten it, though, it’s not working for my site at all. The plugin simply doesn’t do things I thought it did. Not the fault of the plugin, it was just hard to know that it wouldn’t work.

For example:

I have a post type that has an age taxonomy attached. I wanted to make an age slider, but I didn’t realize that the slider was only for custom fields. Each piece of content doesn’t have one specific age, it has a range of ages. This is the biggest one.
    Also, there are issues in display. The plugin causes my page to jump wildly when the results load. I’m thinking this is an incompatibility with my theme.
    The other big issue I have is with the results load. None of the displays work the way I wanted. I guess your demos didn’t really make it clear to me how they would actually look or work.

There are several other things, but I have come to the realization that the plugin is way more complicated than I need it to be and even being so complicated it doesn’t do what I want. I just need a way to filter a post type quickly.

Is there any way that I can deactivate and remove this plugin and request a refund? I am sorry for the trouble.

Thank you,

Lauren

occra
    occra
    Participant

Actually, scratch that. I’m sure we can get this working, right? Let me throw some things out there and see if you can point me in the right direction…

I have this page: http://www.occra.com/class-finder/

It shows the Ajax Search and also a Visual Composer Post Grid that display the same data using the same custom post type and custom taxonomy.

Problem #1: The text on the search filters doesn’t show up. It only shows up if the filters are done as a drop-down.
    Problem #2: I like the way the Visual Composer Post grid shows *everything* and then the filters reduce the result. I can only get the Ajax Search to show me 12 results with an arrow scroll. I want to show them all or at least be able to specify the amount. My users will never see those arrows.
    Problem #3: The Ladies Only check box simply does not seem to work in Ajax Search. If you click “Ladies Only” in the bottom grid, it limits the results to 6. If you click the “Ladies Only” check box in the Ajax part, it does not limit the results. “Filter by Ages” doesn’t work either. I’m really not sure why neither of them work.

I have more, but I’ll start with those three as they are the three most important.

Thanks, Lauren

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Lauren,

I’m almost positive that all of your request should be doable, one way or another.

1. This looks like a simple stylesheet override issue. Basically either the theme or a shortcode CSS changes the color of the lables to white. This custom CSS code should change that to a correct layout. Plus I noticed that there is also an override on the checkbox labels, I’ve included a fix for that as well:

.asp_option label:before {
        display: none !important;
    }

.asp_option label:after {
        top: -1px !important;
        left: 0 !important;
    }

.asp_option .label {
        color: #838383 !important;
    }

Apply this code to your theme custom CSS field (if it supports it) or use the custom CSS field on the search plugin back-end.

2. By default the Isotopic layout is set to display 2 rows, and then paginate. You can change that here: https://i.imgur.com/XT3LOhV.png
    Changing it to a higher number, like 50 usually does the trick.

3. The problem here is, that by default the plugin uses an ‘all selected terms should match’ logic, when using checkbox filters. In 90% of cases this is fine, however in cases like this is not the most convenient. The reason is, that for example if you check one of the age filters, then only results which are marked with that value are displayed, and the un-checked ones are treated as exclusions. So items that satisfy multiple age groups will be excluded.

The solution is to change this logic to a less restrictive one, you can do it on the Frontend search settings -> Advanced panel, by changing the first option to At least one of the selected terms should match: https://i.imgur.com/8eZx5t9.png

This should give you a more likely expected results set.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

occra
    occra
    Participant

Thank you very much for the help.

#1 worked like a champ.

#2 Worked awesome. Thank you.

#3 Kind of works. I changed to using a custom field and a range field and also made the change you suggested. It displays nicely from a visual standpoint (rather than a ton of boxes) and kind of works. It seems to work okay when leaving one end of the slider or the other at the farthest point. So you could search for 0-12 and get results, but 7-12 doesn’t pull up what I would expect (well it pulls up “no results:). I’m not sure if there is anything else that can be done. This is probably the biggest thing that attracted me to your module so hopefully it can get working someday.

Here’s new questions…

I suddenly seem to be having trouble getting the search field and the filters working by instant search. I swear they were working and then stopped, but I’ve tried a million things. If I remove the search box completely, then the filters work instantly. If I have them both showing, the filters will only work if I first search for a word. Any ideas what I have done to myself?

Sort order question. I would like to be able to sort the items in the vertical list into a particular order. As of now, some of them appear in the correct order and some don’t on initial load. After a filter is applied, the sorting falls into place by the designated field. What is the best practice for getting the results to sort in a fixed order when the search page is initially loaded?

My page for reference: http://www.occra.com/class-finder/

Thank you again for your support.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by occra occra.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

1-2. You are welcome.

3. It seems to be working for me, so I’m guessing it has been resolved since? I’m seeing the following results for 7-12 when entering ‘a’ into the search field: https://i.imgur.com/Uknp27S.png

Q1: triggering
    The trigger is affected by the minimum character count as well. I believe you might have changed it to 1 from the default 0. If you change that back, it should start working again: https://i.imgur.com/nFiwj0l.png

Q2: default sorting on auto-populate
    I believe you have the auto populate feature set to ‘random results’. That feature selects random results by forcing a random primary only ordering. It’s because of a database query optimization technique, so the items are not re-ordered.

A possible solution is to use the following configuration for the auto populate feature: https://i.imgur.com/WfJJCmV.png
    The search will be performed on a ’empty’ search phrase, but treated as a regular search, so the default ordering will be perserved. However this will not yield random results.

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

occra
    occra
    Participant

Everything seems to be working pretty well now thanks to your assistance.

Q1. You caught me. I had tried blanking the field, but for some reason didn’t try 0.

Q2. That works great.

The slider age selector still wasn’t working quite right (or as expected) and sometimes wouldn’t display a result if the age was in the middle of an age range. I went a different direction with the way to select ages, and while it’s not quite what I envisioned, it does do the job. Thanks for all your help getting it up and running.

Lauren

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.