related post items added to post not showing

Home Forums Product Support Forums Related Posts Pro for WordPress Support related post items added to post not showing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jessica Schamma Jessica Schamma 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jessica Schamma
    Jessica Schamma
    Participant

Hello!
    After testing almost each related posts plugin for WordPress there is, I bought a license for you one. ? It looks awesome, but so far it isn’t doing what I want it to do. :/

I want to show max 6 related posts, if there are any added to the post or page. If there aren’t any or less than 6, nothing should be shown or added.
    I tried different settings, but it isn’t showing anything although there are related post items added to my test post. When I change the general settings to show random posts if no related posts have been added to the post, random posts are shown. But no matter what I did, I didn’t succeed in showing any of the related post items I added to the posts.

These are the settings in the administration menue:

Related Posts Pro -> General Options
    Max items count: 6
    On less content fill the items with: Nothing
    On no results fill the items with: Nothing
    Hide if no content is found whatsoever: On
    Override content? Off
    Override source: Random Content

In the post:
    Related Posts Pro Settings area
    Hide the plugin for this post? Off
    Override content for this post only? On
    Override souce: Custom Content
    With 4 items in the “Custom content” area, 3 from blog posts, 1 external link.

WordPress is 4.6.1, I use my own theme (still looks nasty, but it works well) where I added the shortcode for templates to my single.php template.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thank you for your kind words and the detalied description, it helps me a lot!

It looks like to me that your configuration is correct, so I suspect there might be something else causing the problem. I’ve tried to re-create it on my test environments, but no luck.

If you can update your ticket with temporary FTP and back-end details, I will happily take a look to see if I can find something in the code causing the problem.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Jessica Schamma
    Jessica Schamma
    Participant

Hello again!

Thanks for the fast answer. πŸ™‚ I tried some things meanwhile to make it easier to spot the error. I deactivated all other plugins to see if there is any conflict. And yes, there was one, but after I deactivated the other plugin, there is still an error that even occurs if Related Posts Pro is the only plugin. Now I see the box with the related posts, this time one item is showing, the external link. The other 3 items are links to my own blog posts. The funny thing is, they show up for a glimpse when I load the page, then they disappear, but they are still in the source html code. I suppose it’s just a css issue, but I still need a helping hand. πŸ™‚

I update the ticket so you can log in now. Please, whatever you do, don’t touch the “Comming soon” plugin, I still have to do a lot of work before the site can be shown again. I have a lot of plugins installed, but I will delete a bunch of them when I’m done with the relaunch. The most important ones are activated, for example UserPro, UberMenu, NextCellent Gallery and Shortcodes Ultimate.

This is the post I used for testing:
    http://www.schattendings.de/wp-admin/post.php?post=12535&action=edit
    http://www.schattendings.de/themen/universum/2016/10/25/dies-ist-ein-testbeitrag/
    This WordPress site is in German, I hope you can cope with that. πŸ˜‰

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thank you for the log-in information!

I have found the problem. It was related to a malfunctioning filter option. I haven’t exactly located the combination of options causing the problem, I have fixed it by turning off all the front-end filter and sorting options for now. I’m not sure if you are planning to use them, if so, then let me know, and I will find another solution.

The selected elements should display correctly now. I’ve noted this as a bug to re-create and fix for the upcoming release πŸ™‚

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Jessica Schamma
    Jessica Schamma
    Participant

Hello!

I don’t know if I am going to need these options and filters. Since I even do not know where and what to turn off exactly probably not. πŸ˜‰
    Thanks a lot for solving the problem so fast. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ If the error occurs again, I will tell you, but so far it looks good. I really like this plugin. πŸ˜‰

I forgot a question: Is there any way to see if there are no items for the current posts? A function that I can use in a template? I built a html article around the related posts with some text. I want it to be shown just if there are items of course.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica πŸ™‚

In the meantime I was able to find and fix the problem on my local test servers, so an update is coming soon to eleminate all these issues.

As for your question: Well, due to the way the plugin is built and it’s displayed there is no PHP function to use to get the results count. However I think there might be a way to do it via a javascript, so I put together a small snippet for you.

Place this into the functions.php file in your active theme directory (copy from line 3):

This will load a script into the site footer, which will check if the related posts container is empty, and if so, then hides the HTML code you wrapped it around with πŸ™‚ I have not been able to test it, but let’s hope it works!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Jessica Schamma
    Jessica Schamma
    Participant

Thank you!
    I will give it a try. πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Related Posts Pro for WordPress Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.