Results page

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jenerdman
    jenerdman
    Participant

If you go to the search bar on the home page and type in farmers with the live search, you’ll get 6 of 16 results. That’s perfect. I love how it’s split up between the different post types. But if you go to the results page, it doesn’t keep that separation, it just jumbles them all together. Can’t you keep that same search results format but have it on the actual page?

I’ve tried both ways –
    (1) using the default search results (just hit enter in the search box)
    or
    (2) setting up a page for the search – click the magnifying glass which sends you to this page: https://enjoyjeffersoncounty.com/custom-search/

Neither shows the search results in that same grouped format.
    AND, I can’t get it to stop disappearing when I scroll down to see the entire results box?

Can you help??

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortuantely this is not possible. The main reason is, that the WordPress results page layout is completely controlled by the currently active theme you are using. To group results in any way, the complete layout has to be custom coded, but even then it is not the greatest idea as it requires custom queries from existing results. I have only seen a very few cases where something like that worked.

Instead of trying to custom code the results page, you could try this alternative solution. That will force the search shortcode as a results page container on a custom page. It is far from perfect, but it does not require coding.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

jenerdman
    jenerdman
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Great!

For the grouped results I am afraid it is not going to work. When grouping is disabled, it can automatically load up more results – but not this way unfortunately.
    Another option is to redirect to the search results page, but currently it will simply redirect to the same page and will do nothing.

Your best option here (if you want to keep the grouping) is to disable the “more results” feature, and increase the number of results displayed. The load more feature will only work if the grouping is disabled, but I don’t think you want that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

jenerdman
    jenerdman
    Participant

understood – thank you. I appreciate your extra help!!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.