Search Bar & Display Issues

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search Bar & Display Issues

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marcus Ferguson
    Marcus Ferguson
    Participant

I just recently purchased your Pro plugin, however, I’m unable to type anything into the search bar. I’ve tested this out on Chrome and Edge and I’m having the same problem.

I also have an issue with the drop down display. It’s going off screen and I can’t seem to figure out how to move it to the left so I can have everything display.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

The first issue with the focus is caused by a 3rd party script, related to the menu controller. I guess the menu is not designed to expect more complex elements and it applies a custom click handler, which causes the problem.
    Possible solutions to that is to either modify the menu script accordingly, so it does not do anything to the search input, or move the search out of a menu item scope, and move it next to the menu instead – that could also work.

There is probably a way to fix it via custom code to turn off the event listeners. Try adding this code via the Code Snippets plugin or to the functions.php file in your theme/child theme directory – make sure to have a full server back-up first for safety. For more details you can check the safe coding guidelines.

add_action(
    	'wp_footer',
    	function () {
    		?>
    		<script>
    			jQuery(function($){
    				jQuery('.asp_w_container').closest('.menu-item').off();
    			});
    		</script>
    		<?php
    	}
    );

I can’t guarantee anything though, as this issue is not caused by the plugin.

As for the results alignment, you can change it here: https://i.imgur.com/hdgFo0f.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Marcus Ferguson
    Marcus Ferguson
    Participant

So would that issue be with my theme? I’m just trying to figure out who I need to contact because I need my visitors be to be able to search the site.

For the second issues, I already have it set like that and it’s still going off screen.

Attachments:
    Marcus Ferguson
    Marcus Ferguson
    Participant

Do you know how I could move the search bar next to the menu?

Attachments:
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

So would that issue be with my theme?
    It’s not really an issue on either sides, menus are a bit of a gamble, as they are usually not desiged to hold custom made elements very well. They are made for simple text only.
    In the upcoming release (4.26.6) there will be a bit of improvement – as I’m adding a dedicated Ajax Search Pro menu element. It’s under testing, but it should prevent most of the click/blur issues.

I think you want to change it to the “right side” instead, and also reset the right margin to 0: https://i.imgur.com/n6lrGyq.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Marcus Ferguson
    Marcus Ferguson
    Participant

Thank you for letting me know about the update coming soon! I did try adding the short code outside of the menu, on my blog page, and I was still having issues. I was able to type, but nothing populated, even when I clicked the search icon.

I’ll go ahead and try those layout suggestions. Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Marcus Ferguson
    Marcus Ferguson
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

The display looks great now after setting it to “Right Side of the Search”

I figured out that if I click and hold within the Search Bar I’m able to type, but if I just click in the Search bar I can’t type.
    However, even when I click and hold, then type something in, it doesn’t display anything.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Yes, it looks like there is click handler for the containing link element. The good news is, that in the upcoming release there will be separate menu item for the search preventing parent events, I figured out a way.

Until then, try using the custom code I suggested above, it should do the trick.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Marcus Ferguson
    Marcus Ferguson
    Participant

Unfortunately the custom code didn’t work. But that’s okay, I can wait until the next release! Do you have an ETA of when it might be released?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

It’s either tomorrow or friday (15th). I’m finishing it up right now, tomorrow testing and if everything is all right, then it’s out tomorrow 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.