Search BuddyBoss members

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ConsciousTech
    ConsciousTech
    Participant

We have a bunch of practitioners on https://consciouskenya.com/practitioners/. The page is build using BuddyBoss, as a filter of all the members by profile type.

I would like:

1. the search (available on the homepage and the header) to search BuddyBoss members, preferably a specific profile type
    2. pressing enter should not submit or search page to show the ajax search results

The site is not on cPanel hosting, so there’s no ftp access.

We used to use the lite version (which did not have member search) and imported the settings. Would that be the issue, or am I missing something in the settings?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can enable search for user under the Search Sources -> User search panel. I am not too familiar with BoddyBoss, but I believe it does not change how the users are stored.

To make sure the plugin redirects to the results page, check the Search Behavor -> Magnifier and Return Actions so they are set to redirect to the results page.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

ConsciousTech
    ConsciousTech
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

BuddyBoss = BuddyPress Theme

I need to be able to search BuddyPress members, with a specific profile type. The search options only show groups. If I add WordPress users to the search and select BuddyPress profile in Advanced, the selected roles do not appear in search results.

Also Autocomplete does not include users.

As for results, I did not select the option for Replace the default theme search with: . So that is sorted.

Regards.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

I am not sure how BuddyPress separates that – but there are options to exclude users by the roles, in case the profile type is a role. If the profile type is somewhere stored as user metadata, then using a hidden custom field filters on user meta could aslo work to only include those matching the criteria.

The autocomplete is currently avaialble for the Posts, tags, categories, other taxonomies, statistics database, google places API and google. I can however take this up to the requests list, it should not be too difficult to add in a future release.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

ConsciousTech
    ConsciousTech
    Participant

All profile types have an assigned WP role. However searching for users does not yield users of the selected roles. Only users that have authored posts are listed.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Make sure you are using that option correctly, it is to Exclude users by the roles, not to include. Only those roles should be added to the list, which you want to have excluded. Also, some users may have multiple roles, so make sure not to exclude the ones, which may overlap. I think the problem might be an exclusion for the buddypress role, or an exclusion for an overlapping role.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

ConsciousTech
    ConsciousTech
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

I have managed to display the BuddyBoss members of a specific WordPress Role. The overlapping role is WCFM Vendor which appears in search results, and changing the link to BuddyPress profile did the trick. Thanks.

I was wondering about the avatar that shows in the result. Currently it is set to show a Gravatar, but we have turned off this setting in BuddyPress. Is it the ajax search that is looking for a gravatar or is profile image in the result a default gravatar?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

You are welcome.

It defaults for the WordPress image, but you can actually change it to the BuddyPress avatar if it is available here.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.