Search Example Required

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant

Hey

We have just purchased this after liaising with you.

Can you please tell us which of your demo search templates is needed for this layout.

We want to use this layout as follows:
    a. Drop down to be our main categories
    b. Search box to search for post code or post town.
    c. Results then bring all suppliers of that category within the post code / posttown.
    (WE SPECIFICALLY NEED THE DROP DOWN OPTION)

We have tried some of the example templates but none of them give us a drop down option; this is the main reason for purchase.

This is the first time we are using your search so this maybe a silly question.

Can you please reply ASAP as need to see if this works urgently.

Thank you in advance

Amir

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

It all depends on how these things are stored, but I will assume the most likely scenario:

1. You are looking for the taxonomy term filters for that. This documentation will help you with that. I also recommend checking the settings layout and visibility documentation.

2. I guess the location is either stored in a custom field (post meta) or perhaps as taxonomy terms. This documentation details how to use the search in custom fields, and this one for the taxonomy terms.

3. Suppliers are very likely stored as a custom post type, you should see it under the General Options -> Sources panel, there you can select it.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you!

I am a bit confused. I checked the back-end settings, and I see you have selected to return Products as results (General Options -> Sources) panel.
    However in your description you were writing about “Suppliers”, but I see no such custom post type there. Are the “Suppliers” something else, like a taxonomy?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Okay, I think I get it now. You want to display the vendors as results, filter them by the food categories and their location.
    The main issue with this is, that the vendors are not custom post types, but taxonomies. Taxonomies can not be filtered – taxonomy terms are used as filter criteria. The plugin can show the vendors as results, but there is no way to add filters to them, as the vendors themselves are taxonomy terms. I don’t know if there is any plugin out there capable of filtering taxonomy terms by other taxonomy terms or term meta (probably?), however that may still not solve filtering vendors by the food categories as there is no direct connections between them. I would probably recommend custom coding this, as it is a very specific case.
    The vendors seem to be assigned to the foods (products). So filtering food by the vendors and food categories could be possible, but not the other way around.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

If the vendors were a post type and the food and the location was a taxonomy, this would be very simple. Taxonomies are used to categorize post types. Usually it is the best to have the main item (in your case the vendors) as post types, because you want those as results, and you want to categorize them (using location and foods types).

Currently the vendors are taxonomy terms, which can be assigned to the foods (products, which is a post type). This setup is great for shops, where multiple vendors sell the same products, and the user needs the ability to choose which vendor he wants to buy the product from. However it is not possible to use the product as the filter criteria to list the vendor with this setup.
    I am not sure if there is any search/filter plugin out there capable of filtering taxonomy terms by assigned post types, it is used the other way around.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Well, for that a new custom post type has to be created, as well as a taxonomy. There are plugins supporting creation of custom post types, but usually the best way is to do them programmatically if possible.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Fastamir
    Fastamir
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Just a quick note to say thank you for the refund and your understanding.

If we come across a need for this we will surely purchase it.

Thanks again

Amir

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Search Example Required’ is closed to new replies.