Search in menu is disabled

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search in menu is disabled

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chas9000c25
    Chas9000c25
    Participant

I placed an Ajax Search Pro search form in the menu using the method described in your documentation (using a custom link with the search form short code).

However, the search form is clearly malfunctioning. If I click it with a mouse, it does not receive focus, so no input can be typed into it. And the form submission icon (the magnifying glass icon) is not flush right with the form, but is left of where it should be.

Interestingly, the exact same search form is also placed in the content itself (not in the menu) and functions perfectly.

So this seems to indicate that the problem only occurs when the search form is in the menu, not when it is in the body content.

Could you please take a look at my site (https://wheresthejump.com) to see what I’m referring to and let me know what I can do to get the search form in the menu working as perfectly as it does when it’s in the body content?

Thanks.

Chas9000c25
    Chas9000c25
    Participant

Sorry, I should have pointed you to a development environment for my site, not the production version. Please see https://wtjdev.wpengine.com/ instead of https://wheresthejump.com. The dev version (wtjdev.wpengine.com) is running the Ajax Search Pro search form and has the issue. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for the details. It seems like there is a 3rd party script that simply negates the focus of the menu elements upon clicking them, this includes the search bar as well, since it is part of the menu in that case. I am not sure which one is it exactly, but it might be possible to somehow correct that via a custom script.

Try adding this custom code to the functions.php in your theme/child theme directory. Before editing, please make sure to have a full site back-up just in case!

add_filter( 'wp_footer', 'asp_try_fixing_focus' );
    function asp_try_fixing_focus() {
    	?>
    	<script>
    	jQuery('input.orig').on('mouseup', function(){
    		var $n = jQuery(this); 
    		setTimeout(function(){
    			$n.focus();
    		}, 40);
    	});
    	</script>
    	<?php
    }

I am not sure if this will work correctly in all cases, but should do something for sure. The optimal solution would be to turn off or modify that other script so that the input does not immediately loose focus once clicked.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Chas9000c25
    Chas9000c25
    Participant

Ernest, thanks, that helps. What is the specific script that’s conflicting with the search form? If you could let me know the exact name of the function call or the code snippet that’s the problem, that may help me identify where it’s coming from so I can eliminate the problem that way, rather than modifying functions.php. Thanks again.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Unfortunately I cannot tell. I tried to get the event listeners via the chrome debugger but there is too many of them and most of it is minified. Reverse engineering this can be very difficult. I suggest asking the theme/menu developer, I am sure they will point right to in in a minute.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Chas9000c25
    Chas9000c25
    Participant

I spoke with the theme developer and he said he wasn’t seeing anything obvious. But he suggested we hook the search into the navigation (outside the menu itself) to get it to work. Is there a function we can reference to output the search form, so we can try this?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sure, you can use the PHP version of the shortcode for that: https://documentation.ajaxsearchpro.com/getting-started/placing-the-search-shortcode-in-theme-files

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.