Search in Posts & retaining customisation on update

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search in Posts & retaining customisation on update

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hollyoz
    hollyoz
    Participant

Hello,

I have a couple of issues.

We have used Ajax pro as search engine on our site and it searches products well but will not search within posts even though that setting is on (General Options, Sources). Is there something else we need to do to add that functionality ?

Also whenever I update the plugin all my customisation is lost even if I export the search instances and the reimport them after the plugin update. Are there other places where settings can be saved them reimported and should this be happening when I update ? There is a current update to run 4.10.4 but I’m reluctant to do it if it means my developer will have to do all the customisation again. I can ask him what customisation he does if you need that info.

Thanks
    Holly

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Holly,

The reason why the posts does not show up is that you have a redirection set to a custom url, which looks like this:

?s={phrase}&post_type=product&post

That is not correct as the &post at the end actually does nothing. And since the ‘post_type’ argument is set to ‘product’, the WooCommerce results page handler is triggered – which is not capable of displaying posts as results, only products, and nothing else. It’s a restriction of WooCommerce I believe.

The only way to display both posts and products is to use the default results page and the search override: https://i.imgur.com/H2mSnwW.png
    In that case make sure that the product custom post type is also chosen: https://i.imgur.com/tbFZGaj.png

The search options are not touched on update, at all. There are a few backwards compatibility fixes for some older versions, but the option are not reset to default or changed in any manner by the plugin when updating.
    If you have different changes – like changes within the files or within the stylesheets, then those will be overwritten automatically by wordpress, and I do not recommend that. If custom styling is needed, then there is a Custom CSS field in the plugin options panel, which remains untouched during the update. For programmatical changes I only recommend using actions and filter codes (have them in the child theme functions.php file), as described in the knowledge base examples. Touching plugin core files is not a good idea, as those are replaced upon updates, and it’s not possible to prevent.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.