Search Instance not working on latest update

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search Instance not working on latest update

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sallyg31
    sallyg31
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I initially set up a test version of a search site with a DCFN search instance some months back, which still currently works using Version 4.21.5. This was on https://discountscheapfreenow.com, which I started at first. It all still works fine on that version – although I have “deactivated the plugin license” for that test site, since I will be deleting soon.

I have set the site up now on https://staging.discountscheapfreenow.co.uk, which has the same domain name, but different extension.

I tried to update the Ajax Search Pro plugin to the latest version, but I only get “no results” – so having tried a lot of different options, the problem still remains unresolved. I have tried exporting the instance “DCFN” from the previous site before “deactivating the license” – and then importing the instance “DCFN imported” – but, even though I have activated the license correctly, I still cannot get things to work as it should. I have also set up a new test instance, but it does not work either. The initial DCFN I created simply does not produce any results with the latest update. Is there a possible reason for this?

I have set up a temporary login as follows – if you would like to take a look at the site below.
    https://staging.discountscheapfreenow.co.uk/wp-admin/?wtlwp_token=471e48b173a3ed3aa117712b81b9f7ac6afed66e47e05fb127e447447fbcc68c1af88dc5676e1144befe9686c46d2832c116c27465e287322c7d1d898d87112e

I hope you are able to help! Please let me know if you require any further information.
    Kind regards,
    Sally Greyling

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sally,

I just tried the one on the staging site, but it seems to be working all right on my end: https://i.imgur.com/4efYANk.png
    ..or at least that looks okay to me at the first sight. Is this okay, or does the issue persist?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Nevermind, I have found the issue – it was apparent after I saved the search instance.

It is indeed a known problem, I applied a temporary patch to resolve it until the next release. If you want to make sure it is applied to the live site, please copy the wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro folder over to the live environment, after updating to the current release.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

sallyg31
    sallyg31
    Participant

Hi Ernest. Thank you for resolving the issue. The problem was “no results” showing in preview and live – but seems to be working fine now! With our technology behind the scenes nearly completed, I just want to check that if I push the site through from staging to live soon, would that not carry through the Ajax Plugin with your modifications in it? Or would I still have to overide the folder on the live site? I use Softaculous to move plugins, files, databsase over to the live site – and can’t see why it would take all the changes through that were on staging. I just want to be sure?

I would also need to know that once I go live I would want to push the site back to staging periodically to test new updates, etc. – but NOT on the LIVE site, so that problems can be addressed, should things stop working properly – as things often go wrong in the field of programming. Will I be able to use the same license on both staging and live site for the same domain name?

I also have another issue I really hope you can help with before starting to input the real content, etc.to be displayed on the site.
    I have tested the search results on my mobile. I would like there to be consistency between the desktop search results and mobile results. However, I cannot see a way to do this under your Mobile options – as when the image result is clicked to another site, on clicking back to our site, the caption has vanished. I would like the caption to remain as it was if possible. I also see that the magnifier only becomes visible, when returning to our site – so is there a way around this issue? If Mobile results could work the same as desktop – that would be really great!

Thanks for your help Ernest. I am hoping that once this all works well – then I can set this up on more sites with your search function across different industries in due course.

Kind regards,
    Sally

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

If your staging is set to push all files and data to the live when “publishing”, then it should be fine. I usually recommend using the license only on the staging site, if you are testing new updates there first, and then pushing to the live environment. You can have the license activated on both sites, but it is redundant if staging is always updated first.

I am not really sure about the mobile issue. I tested on a samsung phone, but all seems to be okay on my end – although I am not sure if I understand the problem correctly. I don’t exactly understand what do you mean by the “vanishing caption” in this case.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

sallyg31
    sallyg31
    Participant

Hi Ernest,
    Thank you for your return and input. Having also looked at your docs explaining the updates and licensing issues I have now worked out the best way forward concerning this. Your input is invaluable!

Regarding the Mobile behaviour that puzzles me – not a big problem, but maybe this will help explain the issue. Under Themes & Styling:
    https://prnt.sc/-o0A9vL1-Cs3
    On desktop – when clicking a result image to a website URL – on returning back to the search results, the caption still appears on the image result.
    On mobile/tablet – when tapping result image to a website, on return back to search results, the caption is not visible – until you tap on another result image.
    Is this a trigger that relates to your search plugin capabilities, or is this just standard mobile behaviour?
    On the other hand, I could just deactivate the button to “Off”- and then the captions stay on permanently. i.e. Under Theme & Styling, Isotopic: Turn the – Hide the content when overlay is active to “Off” ?
    I hope this helps to clear up the confusion!
    I have also turned off the “Show overlay on mouseover” to make it simpler.
    Kind regards,
    Sally

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sally,

Oh okay, I think I get it now. It is because of the “hover” state. I am not sure if I can do anything about it though. Mobile devices handle the “hover” states a bit differently (basically when tapping the element).

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

sallyg31
    sallyg31
    Participant

Ok. No problem Ernest. Thanks for checking from your side.
    I am currently in contact with Kadence support concerning some design issues, but will submit a new ticket if I need further help.
    Sally

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.