search is not giving me obvious results

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support search is not giving me obvious results

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones
    Participant

the site login uses 2FA so i hope this can be solved without needing to get into the site? i can deactivate 2FA if necessary. FYI i’m using the index table for the engine.

the plugin is working great (thanks!) and i’ve been successful in refining it to what we need. two problems still happen during search, and i can’t seem to make them disappear.

1. i can search for a phrase like “what are the side effects of medications” and i get lots of results. but if i search for “medications” or “medication” i get the “No results” message. besides experimenting with various combinations of key word logic i tried making “medications” a synonym and a key word, but that didn’t do anything.

2. i can search for “eye drops” and get plenty of results, but there is one page that has “eye drops” in its page title and this page doesn’t appear in the search results. this URL is: “https://grftestsite.org/learn-about-glaucoma/patient-resources/how-to-use-eye-drops/”. and when i type “how to use eye drops” in the search box, again that page doesn’t appear in the search results.

perhaps these two problems are related: i must be missing something in the settings. i’ve played around a lot with the key word logic and that didn’t eliminate either of these problems. right now primary key word logic is “AND with exact word matches” and the secondary logic is “OR with exact word matches”.

thank you!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

If the index table engine is confgigured correctly, and everything is indexed – then the most likely causes for both of these issues are:
    – Either the index table is not enabled, make sure to check that.
    – Also make sure the exact matching is not enabled
    – ..and there are no generic or post type or any other type of filters created. Even if you are not using them visually, they are in effect when created.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones
    Participant

hello! thanks for your suggestions. to answer in order:
    — search engine source is index table engine
    — show exact matches only is OFF
    — there are no filters of any kind created.
    — i use no tags, custom fields or any search engine settings on the front end,
    — no date filters, no categories & taxonomy terms
    i have indexed pages and posts, but nothing else is indexed on the general index page. i assume that’s ok since i’m not interested in tags, etc. for this site.

so, my problem still exists exactly as before. i did enable keyword suggestions, so now there are at least some options to choose from when the “no results” phrase appears. but i consider that to be a temporary bandaid, and not a fix.

might this relate somehow to primary keyword logic? i changed the logic to AND with exact word matches and AND. with this combination i finally was able to get the word “medication” to show up with results, but not the word “medications”.

it really bothers me that when i search for an exact page title that exists on the site, sometimes i get results and sometimes i get No Results!
    for example, here are two pages on the site: when i search for “Learn about Glaucoma” i get no results at all, but if i search for “Types of Glaucoma” that page shows up in the results along with other pages.

thanks again for your help,
    jacqueline

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I will have to take a direct look at this, if the configuration is okay, and the indexed post title/content or any other selected field has the keyword in it, it should return it as result for sure.

Can you please disable 2FA?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones
    Participant

hi ernest,

ok, i have disabled 2FA.

i see that you already attempted to log into the site a few days ago (and of course it didn’t work because of the 2FA) but you used the incorrect username. FYI my correct username is “jjones”, not “jones”.

thanks, and i look forward to hearing about what you find out about my ajax settings, etc.

jacqueline

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you!

I have found the issue, it was the keyword exceptions, they were added to the wrong input. I moved them to the right place: https://i.imgur.com/cZ2zWtK.png

That explains all the issues. In the case of “medications” the keyword “on” was triggered for replacement, so the keyword became “medicatis” – whihc yielded no result. With the current configuration only the whole words will be replaced.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones
    Participant

thanks!

a few more things:

the search for “clinical trial” will yield results that include both words, but when the search is “clinical trials”, the word “trial” is not highlighted. the search engine doesn’t recognize it.

content inside of accordions is not showing up in searches. for example, one of the accordion headlines is “Clinical Trials” but the page that the accordion is on (Patient Resources” doesn’t show up in the search results. here’s the URL: https://grftestsite.org/learn-about-glaucoma/patient-resources/

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

You are welcome!

The “trial” in that case is not highlighted, because the search keyword is “trials” and not “trial”.

Contents within tabs/accordions or any other interactive elements may not be actually present in the database until the page is visually rendered by the browser. You can try changing this option – but it may not work with that either.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones
    Participant

hello once more!

you said: “The “trial” in that case is not highlighted, because the search keyword is “trials” and not “trial”.”

yes, i now understand. but take a look at the screen shot i uploaded for you. the search was for “clinical trials”. “clinical trials” should be highlighted in red in the results, but you can see in this example that sometimes the word “trials” fails to get highlighted. what’s up with that?

many thanks,
    jacqueline

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Jacqueline Jones
    Jacqueline Jones
    Participant

thank you. YOU ARE THE BEST!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.