Search Results change by hitting back button

Home Forums Bug reporting, Questions & Suggestions Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Search Results change by hitting back button

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by jerrybeckett jerrybeckett 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jerrybeckett
    jerrybeckett
    Participant

Greetings,

So, great product, love the plugin, but noticed and issue. After search, getting results, then clicking on a result… if you decide to click on the back button of the browser you only get a few of the original results. I also noticed that it adds the following to the original results after clicking the back button:

#asp-res-26366

So, for some reason, it is modifying the search results when going back on the browser. Why?

Sample of original search results in URL address:

https://maxvaluesmag.com/findit/?p_asid=1&p_asp_data=1&termset%5Bwpbdm-region%5D%5B%5D=6230&filters_initial=1&filters_changed=0&qtranslate_lang=0&current_page_id=40384&asp_s=restaurants

Sample of search results in URL address after hitting the back button:

https://maxvaluesmag.com/findit/?p_asid=1&p_asp_data=1&termset%5Bwpbdm-region%5D%5B%5D=6230&filters_initial=1&filters_changed=0&qtranslate_lang=0&current_page_id=40384&asp_s=restaurants#asp-res-26366

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for the report.

May I ask what browser are you experiencing the issue on? I have tried a few major ones, but I get the the same exact page back when I click the back button. The additional hash is added to perserve the browser state in case of selection.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

jerrybeckett
    jerrybeckett
    Participant

Greetings,

I have tried it on Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge. I also did it in incognito mode and on different devices at different locations with the same results. Sometimes it gives me the same exact results and sometimes it doesn’t. Here is a step by step (using private mode in MS Edge) showing screenshots (attached):

1. search using term “restaurants” I get 7 pages of results (image “capture1.jpg)

2. clicked on one of the results from the first page (image “capture2.jpg)

3. hit back button on browser and as you can see there are now only 2 pages of results instead of 7 (image3.jpg)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I still can’t replicate on any of our computers, every time I see the same exact output for all the browsers.

May I ask what is the operating system?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

jerrybeckett
    jerrybeckett
    Participant

Hello, I tested it on Windows 10, multiple browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Edge and on different computers at multiple locations.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I have no idea at the moment then – it must be something with the system. I have tried on the same exact setup and it was all okay on all browsers every single time.

Nevertheless I have placed an issue to the tracker, we will keep an eye on this.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

jerrybeckett
    jerrybeckett
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I appreciate it. I never noticed it before, until one of my coworkers brought it up. At first, I didn’t believe it was an issue, thought it was merely a caching problem. I couldn’t reproduce it until I tried private mode on MS Edge and then I finally started seeing it in action. I’m now wondering if the plugin WP Rocket has anything to do with it or a server side caching issue. I will continue to try to figure it out as well. Like I said, it is an intermittent issue.

-Jerry

jerrybeckett
    jerrybeckett
    Participant

Ok, I had time to investigate the code and back end settings. I have figured out the issue. You guys added the “auto populate” feature back in version 4.13.1. When there is no caching, as in incognito and you then hit the back button on the browser, it activates this auto populate feature which is set to 10 as default. I have been wondering why it only give 10 results every time I hit the back button on a private browser. Once I update that number, let’s say I make it “12”, boom! I go back to the private browser, hit the back button and then it gives me 12 results. See my attachment. I circled the setting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Ajax Search Pro for WordPress’ is closed to new topics and replies.