Search results different

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shrcc
    shrcc
    Participant

Hi

I am trying to get my head around the best way to set up this search so I am using our test website. Sorry it isn’t accessible to the world at the moment.

However, I have about 50 pages that use the same layout structure. Same title accept for the date and year. All with the word If I search for the word ‘newsletter’ in the title and body, so I would guess that the relevance value for each post would be the same? But in the live search when I type in ‘newsletter’ it gives me an older posts as the first suggestions not the latest one. But if i click ‘more results’ they are in order as in the newest one first.

Do I have a setting wrong? It is strange that the results are different.

Also .. is there a way to tell what the relevance value for a page is? Some resuls I am getting are a bit strange so I would like to see what the break down is.

Thank you.
    Karen

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

By default the plugin uses relevance primary and a date secondary ordering. From the screenshot, I believe that the relevances of those items are higher, as in that case the newer articles would appear first by the secondary ordering rules.

I think the best solution would be to change the primary ordering to date descending, as in your case getting the newest records first is likely to be much more relevant matches: https://i.imgur.com/sgUuuGJ.png

With a custom code, it is actually possible to reveal the relevance values, by printing the to the title.
    Try adding this custom code to the functions.php in your theme/child theme directory (copy from line 3 only!). Before editing, please make sure to have a full site back-up just in case!

This will print two values before the titles in the results list, one is the priority, the other is the relevance: https://i.imgur.com/Nn5nbpz.png
    Bit of explanation: The priority is not calculated, it is set to 100 on all results by default, and it can be changed via the priorities submenu. Priority settings are used to change the global ordering of the result, whenever it matches. Elements with the highest priority are always placed to the front of the results list, if matching.
    This may help you get a better overview on certain calculated relevance values.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.