Search results stopped appearing in new instance

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search results stopped appearing in new instance

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    billium99
    billium99
    Participant

Hi – I have a bizarre problem where we suddenly seemed to have lost a brand new search instance while in the middle of deploying. When i went back to my test page with the test instance, it also no longer shows results! The results box and all display results are just gone. All settings were unchanged and the preview works as expected, but nothing on the front-end works. At first I though maybe some home page elements were conflicting, but then we realized that the test search also failed.

Here is the test page:

https://www.spectrumsupplements.ca/a-test-search/

Let’s start by getting it working there again, please. Any ideas welcome!

I will buy 4 new licenses for clones of this site, once we have this figured out.

Bill

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Bill,

Don’t worry, we will figure it out in no time.

After a quick look on the front-end, I noticed, that there is a results shorcode placed into an invisible mobile menu container – which is present on the page, but not visible.
    The results are basically propagated to that container, but because it’s invisible, it appears as if the search was not working.

I can’t exactly pinpoint the of the shortcode, but it’s within a custom HTML block in a mobile only menu container in the header. If you remove that, then everything will work as normal again.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

billium99
    billium99
    Participant

Weird! OK I’ll check this out…

billium99
    billium99
    Participant

OK now I see – yes this was the HTML block where I attempted to place the search box. It works on the page now, but it will not work in the Flatsome menu structure…

Under Appearance > Customize you can access the layout options. Mouse over the header menu, for example and you should be able to select any of the elements to bring up the layout editor. In there I’ve tried Blocks and the HTML widget, both of which support short codes. Here is the shortcode I had in there:

[wd_asp elements='search,settings,results' ratio='30%,70%,100%' id=1]

This won’t work, despite working fine on the page itself.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Menus are generally very sensitive. The default menu structure is a “ul” unordered list with “li” list elements and also an “a” anchor tag for each menu item. These are inline elements and by HTML validity rules they can’t contain block type elements such as “div”. In modern browsers this is usually no issue, they render these incompatibilities just fine, but it is still problematic.

If you plan to place the search into the menu, I only recommend using the simple shortcode:

[wd_asp id=1]

If it gets rendered it may work with the results hovering below it – or displayed within the page if the results shortcode is present.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

billium99
    billium99
    Participant

OK so that does work in the menu area, however, is there anything to be done about the results box width? I’d like to have it wider than the current container of the search box.

Is that what the results short code is for?

billium99
    billium99
    Participant

Never mind I got it figured out! Thanks for the help.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

All right!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.