Search Results Wacky

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by arcadence arcadence 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

The search function does not work as expected.

When I search a term and get the results, everything is fine. If I select to search in titles only, the results are a disaster. Posts show up without the search term in the title. Any idea on what’s going on?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by arcadence arcadence.
    arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

Also, to note, it seems that the search is thrown off if there is a number in the title.

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

Any support on this?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Sorry about the delay. I got no notification for some reason.

Could you please provide a bit more information:

• A link to a page where the search is visible
    • The exact phrases on which this problem occurs
    • Phrases on which the problems does not occur
    • Expected results

Temporary admin/ftp access would also speed up my work in case I need to change the configuration or fix something regarding the plugin.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

This ticket system seems to be buggy as well as I gave all that information when I created this ticket. In any event, let me explain.

The search bar is located on every page on the sidebar.

I have it set so that the search takes you to the search page results (where you’ll find another search bar as well).

So, if you type in something like “market” in the side bar search, it returns a list. If however, you type market again, and search only the title, you get weird search results.

How do I send you login/pass for both the site and FTP securely since if I reply here now, it’ll be public?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

You can edit your first post, or you can attach a text file with private details. It will be visible only to me and you.

I understand, but I can’t seem to reproduce the issue on my local test servers. It works fine there, no weird results.

I need to see this somewhere to check the ajax requests, parameters, etc..

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

First post has been updated. Thank you.

Another thing to note, $ signs in the body text and title do not show up in the search results. I can change the body to use $ for the $, but the title doesn’t accept it.

Thanks for looking into this.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Plugin version 3.5 just got accepted on codecanyon. May I ask you to upgrade it? If you download the plugin again, you should now get the newer version. It might solve the issue with the random results, as I thing I might know what have caused it.

There is a guide in the documentation on how to safely upgrade (1. chapter).

Don’t delete the current version installer, in case it won’t work or something 😉

I need to get some sleep, I will get back to you tomorrow morning. Let me know if the new version fixed anything.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

I followed the instructions for upgrading. If I do a default search, it seems to work. If I try to search only titles, it returns a blank page.

Please advise.

Also, can you advise about the issue of symbols like $ not showing up in the search?

Thanks.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I just double checked and it worked for me without issue for both engines you have on that page.

This is what I did:
    1. Typed in “operation” on your main page search, clicked the magnifier. It took me to the advanced search results page. So far so good.
    2. Then I deselected content and excerpt on the left search and typed in “operation” again: https://i.imgur.com/L8ai5IR.png
    3. I got 3 results: https://i.imgur.com/Q0raY7m.png

Am I missing something?

I don’t think I understand the issue with the $ symbol. Could you please perhaps make a screenshot of the problem? I don’t know where to look for it or where it should appear, I think I just don’t understand, I’m sorry.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

The search results issue is this (just an example):

1. Type “market” in the search. Then hit search. The results list in the advanced search results page is fine. You’ll notice several results have “market” in the title.
    2. Now, type “market” in the search. This time deselect EVERYTHING except “Search in Title” and leave categories all marked. This time the search results page is blank. It doesn’t even say “No matches found or anything (even though there are matches as the previous result showed market in the title).

For the $ issue.

Type in “million” in the search. The 4th result (and others) shows 0 Million. It should read $150 Million. If you click on the link you’ll see the title in the single post page.

Does this make sense or do you need a screencast?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

2. If you deselect “Search in posts” and “Search in pages” then of course there are no results, there is nothing to return whatsoever.
    I see you reverted back to 3.2, no problem. I logged in with the admin details and changed on file in the search plugin, to apply the fix to not show all results, when there are no matches. (that was a bug in 3.2)
    Now it shows the “Sorry, there was no content that matched your search.” if there are no matches as it’s specified in your theme.

I typed in million, and nothing shows 0 million. There are several others like $150 million, $10 million etc.:https://i.imgur.com/tg0F1P2.png
    The plugin does not affect these result layouts. It’s the default wordpress results page, coming from your theme, only with the posts that are specified by the ajax search pro plugin. So I don’t know why those signs were removed, but it’s more likely related to the theme or to another plugin that applies a filter over the returned search content. I might be wrong though.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I didn’t change back to an older plugin. I’m not sure what happened? I didn’t realize that I had to keep Search in Pages/Posts selected. Perhaps I’ll remove that option so it automatically searches in posts and pages and users can’t deselect it so they don’t return empty results. Thanks for the clarification on it.

With the $, it’s weird. Now it’s showing. It wasn’t showing before. I’m going to test everything on the live site (what you were working on was a dev site) and see if I get the same results. Thanks for your help!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

No problem at all 😉

Let me know if something’s up.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

arcadence
    arcadence
    Participant

Okay, so I’ve removed the option for selecting search in posts/pages so it’s automatically set by default. Now results are appearing as expected.

For the $ issue, on the dev site (using an older version of the plugin?) the $ displays. On the current site (updated first post with the URL to current site), if you search “million” then you’ll see the issue I’m explaining. Any suggestions?

The only difference between the dev/live site would be the plugin version.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.