Search seems to be dependent on the order that words are entered

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search seems to be dependent on the order that words are entered

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RPL1
    RPL1
    Participant

The website sells sheet music, among other things. In this case though I’m using your search engine to display custom post types (exams) and there are 704 such pages. When asking your engine to index them it apparently only identifies 697. However, this isn’t the main issue. It is essential to have an exact match for the words used in the search and all search terms entered must be in the results. For instance, to search for an exam title ABRSM Piano Grade 3 2023 entering the words
    ABRSM Piano Grade 3 2023
    should return two entries (which is correct) while entering
    ABRSM Jazz Piano Grade 3 2023
    should return only 1, and these are the required result. While this does indeed happen, it’s only if the search words are presented specifically in that order. ABRSM Piano Jazz Grade 3 2023 will return nothing. Because people are quite likely to enter something like Jazz Piano Grade 3 ABRSM is it possible to set up the search so that the term order doesn’t matter? I have tried pretty much every variation I can see on the Keyword Logic and Matching tab.

MTIA

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for the details, it helped a lot!

The main issue was, that you had the exact matching enabled – in which case the search phrase entered must match “as-is” at least partially to either of the selected fields.
    When exact matching is disabled, then the word order will not matter. I went ahead and did that for you, I swtiched to the “and” keyword logic as well. The index table was also disabled, so I enabled it for much more relevant matches.

Currently I don’t see any exam titled “ABRSM Jazz Piano Grade 3 2023” or having these keywords (or parts of them) in the title, so these keywords will very likely yield no results.

If you want to have a bit more broad results as well, you can enable the secondary logic, so that if there are no matches, the plugin will try to suggest matches to either of the keywords. Usually using the “or with exact matches” is a good starting point.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.