Search speed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by tjldesigns tjldesigns 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tjldesigns
    tjldesigns
    Participant

Hi there,

I hope you’ve had a lovely Christmas :).

Please can I get your feedback on something, basically we’ve been getting a few different pieces of feedback on the speed of the search via your plugin, so basically the functionality is brilliant, but when someone types some data in, the ‘thinking/processing’ time before it outputs some results can be a little delayed, and certainly not immediate. The client has made a comparison to say https://www.kingsleynapley.co.uk/our-people, where can you see if you type a name into the ‘Looking for someone?’ field it is very very quick to output results, compared to when you type a name into the ‘Search for a person’ field on http://www.memerycrystal.com using your plugin. Can you see what I mean?

I wonder, is there any settings we can change to increase this speed at all to make it as quick as https://www.kingsleynapley.co.uk/our-people? We have used your plugin on 3 x different websites so far, and want to carry on using it to make it our standard, but we’d ideally like to improve on the speed as all our clients are just so ‘speed’ aware these days. Please let me know your thoughts :).

Thanks ever so much and Happy New Year,
    Tonya

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

I have looked at the example – and there is major difference in those examples vs. a regular WordPress powered page, and that it’s not using wordpress at all. While WordPress provides a great interface to make it easier to build websites, each request that is made, has to be made through WordPress itself – which means that every ajax request has to be sent to the wordpress ajax request handler, which builds up the whole system, loads the plugins, themes etc.. – which takes a lot of time.
    Not using WordPress, but a separate search handler built for a purpose gets rid off that overhead, and makes the search process a lot faster, and by a lot I mean a huge amount – as there is no need for building up the whole system, just do the search, and return the results, and it’s done. With WordPress this is impossible, as it is no way to access the database, post types, images, shortcodes, nothing in general, without loading the core and all plugins etc… Some plugin providers get around this by offering 3rd party search servers, but those have a monthly subscription fee, which depends on the search volume as well.

I’m working on a possible pre-cache solution that would use the client browser to do the most of the search ‘instantly’, but that won’t be available for a long time yet – as it has many downsides I need to resolve. Unfortunately speed does not come for free now days. This plugin does not need a subscription, it works on the server that is installed on, however it depends on that server performance. Other solutions may offer 3rd party search servers, but that of course comes with a subscription fee, usually from 15$/month and above, which is half the price of this product, for a lifetime.

There are a few very effective tips to improve the search performance though, which you can find here: Fine tuning the search configuration – Documentation
    Beyond that, it depends only on the server performance.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

tjldesigns
    tjldesigns
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.