Searching entire Taxonomies, not specific categories within them

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Searching entire Taxonomies, not specific categories within them

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by launchcatapult launchcatapult 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

*Use SFTP by setting port to 11208

We have 3 taxonomies set up for our custom post type “Technologies” which are as follows:

• Importance
    • Inventor
    • Patent Status

We want the end user to be able to search within these taxonomies, not within specific taxonomies.

Example:

Patent Status has these 2 categories:

• Patent Pending
    • Patented

Instead of having the user select “Patented” or “Patent Pending”, they would select “Patent Status” and then search for either “Patent Pending” or “Patented” in order to find the custom posts that are categorized that way.

The reason for this is because we have multiple “Inventor” categories and 8 “Importance” categories that we would like users to be able to search within.

Example search:

“Importance: Category 1, Inventor: Category 7, Patent Status: Patented” and then the appropriate results will show up.

As of right now, we have to add each Category instead of an entire taxonomy. How would we add an entire taxonomy?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

It’s not possible right now. I understand your point, but the problem is that the posts (or custom post types) are not categorized by taxonomies (Importane, Inventor, Parent Status) but by taxonomy terms (Patent Pending, Patented etc..) on database level.

Even if this was possible, searching for example “Patented” won’t give you all the results from under the “Patented” category, because the category (term) selectors are filters.

To search in all term names (within all taxonomies) related to each post you can activate the “Search in terms? (categories, tags)” option on the bottom of the General Options -> Sources tab. Please be aware that this might affect the search performance greatly.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

launchcatapult
    launchcatapult
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be something that could be done. Bummer. I appreciate your help.

Have a nice day!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.