Searching private and hidden groups

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Searching private and hidden groups

This topic contains 26 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sandy Sandy 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant

Hi,

Quick question is it possible to only allow members of hidden and private groups to search them?

and is it possible to easily add a custom color to the theme?

Thanks,
    -Sandy

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

I need a bit more information on what you try to achieve here. Can you please explain in more details, on what exactly do you want to hide and from who? And do you use any particular plugin to get user groups, as it is not a default WordPress feature. Thank you!

To change the colors, go under the Theme Options panel. There are sub-panels for each search attribute, where you can adjust the colors to your needs.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I have Buddypress and BBPress installed, i have hidden (Members only) BBPress Groups which have a hidden Forum connected to them,
    if i choose the option “Search in hidden groups” it will search all Hidden groups, while i only want to show (Hidden) Group specific results.

As for the color overwrites of the searchbox, they don’t show in frontend.

Thanks in advance,
    -Sandy

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

That will not affect the group related results, that option is to return groups as results.

However, there is a way to restrict the search to a certain forum content only, using a hidden custom field filter. To do that, follow the instructions below:

1. First, let’s find the forum ID, to which we need to restrict the results. To do that, open the forum in the editor, and look at the browser address bar.

2. Then on the Frontend Search Settings -> Custom fields panel, make a hidden filter, with this configuration.

3. Save the options, and clear your site cache.

Now the live results should be only topics/replies from that specific forum only.

If the color changes does not show on the front-end, you might need to clear all layers of site cache you have (page, minify, CDN etc..). If that does not work, then there might be a 3rd party stylesheet overriding the colors. In that case, can you link me to a page where I can look at it? You can also tell me which sections you want to change, and I might be able to suggest a custom CSS code for that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

I think I might know what ther problem was. On some layouts, the search input field overwflows the overall box, so then the input field background color needs to be changed as well.

I will make sure to somehow add a notice or a different way to clarify this in the upcoming release.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant

Hi Ernest

the method to make dedicated search-boxes for the private forms works like a charm.

For the default search i need to exclude the private forms from the results, so i made 3 rules excluding them (see attachment0, however now normal public pages don’t show up in the result anymore???

Please advice, thanks in advance,
    -Sandy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

Try turning on this option: https://i.imgur.com/SYGg8PO.png
    That should spare the results, that does not have this field available, but still apply the rules for the other post types.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

This did the trick, thanks for the excellent suppor!

Best,
    -Sandy

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

I am not sure which search bar to look at and what to look for. Can you please tell which search bar has the issue, and what search phrase should I try, and which result should not be there? That would help me a lot, thank you!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Sandy
    Sandy
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.