Slow response for search

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Robert Chittock Robert Chittock 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert Chittock
    Robert Chittock
    Participant

Hello

Really love the plugin, but I am trying to troubleshoot the speed of the results being returned as the client has complained it is slow.

The website requires login on front end and admin in order to access url provided above.

Please try the search, on the One Card page, at the bottom right. The search searches the custom post type of onecard (which are partners displayed in the box to the left of the search).

Sometimes it takes 15 secs and other times up to one minute to return results. The website is running on it’s own dedicated server.

Thanks

Rob

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I just examinded the search with multiple configurations, and indeed something is slowing it down. Interestingly, if I type in something that will surely not match anything, then I get results in under 0.2 seconds. It probably means, that the database query is all right, and it’s fast as well. But once the phrase matches something, it slows down. Based on this I concluded that something in the results post processing function delays this.

Could you please upgrade your ticket with temporary ftp details? I would like to run a line-to-line manual debugging to find out where the error comes from exactly.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Robert Chittock
    Robert Chittock
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Many thanks for getting back to me quickly.

I have set up an FTP for you to use today:

** removed for security reasons **

Thanks

Rob

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko. Reason: got the details :)
    Robert Chittock
    Robert Chittock
    Participant

Hi Ernest

This is the live website so please can any debugging be ouput as comments in the source, rather than to the page (as the client would prefer not to cause disruption to the live running website)?

<!– error –>

If this isn’t possible then I can provide access to a development website for you.

Thanks

Rob

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Of course.

I will only output things to the search ajax response, which won’t be visible on the site layout.

If I can’t make any progress, I will ask for a dev site access 😉

Thank you for the details.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I’ve found the problem. By default the search tries to execute the shortcodes found in the content and run the though the “the_content” filter. That command was stuck for some reason. I’m guessing that a plugin or maybe the theme has another filter attached to the “the_content” hook and that made an infinite loop.

The solution was rather simple. I turned off the “Run shortcodes found in post content” and enabled the “Strip shortcodes from post content” option instead on the advanced options panel: https://i.imgur.com/r2Zrn8g.png

The search should work now on full speed 😉

Thank you for the proper details, it made my work much faster.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Robert Chittock
    Robert Chittock
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Thanks for the quick turn around and glad you found the solution! The problem makes perfect sense now, but would have been difficult for me to find!

I have tested the search and all is working as expected.

Thanks again

Rob

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.