Split: Blog Multisite section doesn't appear any Blog

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Split: Blog Multisite section doesn't appear any Blog

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by enoversum enoversum 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

I’ve stumbled over the exact same problem, and your modification helped. However, when using the same form/shortcode without touching anything the plugin only returns results from the mother site, none from the second blog. Would I have to do anything else in order to have it only search the current blog?

I started off with a single blog and turned it later into a multisite. I touched none of the multisite options since from what I understand I have to do so in order for the plugin not to search both blogs from both places, but only the content of the current blog for each search form. But can take the same shortcode/form for both, of course the plugin is activated for the whole network. Right?

All the best & thanks a bunch

Eno

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

I know you are quite busy, can you help out on this one nonetheless? To cut it short, I use the same shortcode on the mother and a ‘child’ site, but it only displays results from the mother site, even on the ‘child’ site. Shouldn’t the plugin only show results from each site?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Eno!

I just stumbled upon your reply on the other topic, I don’t get notified if another user replies to anothers topic.

And what if you select both, or all of the blogs? Will it return results from both? And then if you only select the one that you want, does it change anything?

I hope you get notifications of this topic. To make sure I’ll send you a message through your profile mail as well. Let me know if you get notified (besides my mail) so I don’t need to message you if I reply.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

I was just wondering you didn’t care about my question, haha :D.

How do I best proceed? You may remember you did log into my installation and created a test form while it was a single blog. After that I turned it into a multisite. Now, not changing the form and just placing the same shortcode into my second site only gives me the same layout (as intended/changed only via CSS) and the same results, only from the main blog. I checked and didn’t see any blogs to choose from in the backend, didn’t you incorporate the fix in the latest version? If there are blogs available, how do I proceed so that the same form can be used on both blogs, but only show the current blog’s search results?

Thanks in advance

Eno

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh, I think I see the problem now.

I indeed somehow messed up and forgot to incorporate the change to the current version, damn. I also found the issue why it showed up wrong results. It used the blog ID ‘1’ instead of the current blog id. I changed those faulty codes in the plugin editor, now you should see the correct results.

I’m going to make some tests now and correct these errors and upload them to codecanyon ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope you get notified this time.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

I do get notified, thank you :).

Did you change things on my live site? Edit: Obviously, is now working.

I didn’t get any notification on my codecanyon/Envanto account that you updated your plugin since I bought it (just checked yesterday manually and downloaded it), is this known, due to Envanto or probably something on my side? Is there a way to get a comfortable dashboard notification as with some of my other premium plugins I bought so far?

Thanks again ;).

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by enoversum enoversum.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Yes, I changed via the plugin editor, so you don’t have to wait till the next bugfixed version is up.

I think I have unchecked the ‘Notify users about the upgrade’ earlier when I uploaded a bugfix which affected only 1 user and it might have stayed that way. I will double check that when I upload the next bugfix.

No problem at all, have a nice day!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

if you would rather have me split my questions into single support tickets, let me know. Some of them I had already asked before.

1.) It actually now restricts search results to the current blog, that is perfect.
    However, only posts and one of the two CPT I picked are searchable (post and arzt), what is missing from both sites are normal pages and another CPT I chose (dienstleistung). They are equally picked/enabled in the settings so I wouldn’t know what’s keeping them from appearing. You can try any page’s or dienstleistung’s title or content, neither site shows results.

2.) Also, I see you have implementend a ‘priority’ settings page, only I cannot choose anything there, it’s only a box of two dropdowns, and the blog picking select only shows ‘current’. Is this by design/to be finished or by mistake?

3.) And another one. I asked on another ticket I suppose if it was able to show the content of those custom fields I choose for searching inside. The search itself works, only since most do not have a normal the_content() field filled, it only shows three dots. I would love to have the user see where exactly the search term appears on the post. Didn’t I just find the option for that?

4.) As asked before, can you provide an option how each group’s heading for every single post type is being named, just as you do for ‘Show search in custom post types selectors’ within the frontend search settings options?

All the best, and hope you don’t mind 😉

Eno

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

2. It was indeed a bug with multisite, I didn’t know that. Fixed it for you with minor modifications, this one goes as well into the next bugfix I’m uploading tomorrow.

As for the other issues, I need to leave right now but I will check them all tomorrow. Could you please provide temporary ftp access as well? I don’t want to edit the files via the plugin editor again, because if I make a syntax mistake then it will break the site and I would not be able to fix it. You can upload a txt file with the details, it’s not visible to others.

I will go through the issues tomorrow morning.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Thanks again, awaiting your reply ;). Try out the details in the txt below, should work just fine.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

After a long debugging I have found the problems

1. You had a custom field filter created on the Frontend Options panel, but never used it. This restricts the results to show only those where this particular custom field is present. I removed that, since it wasn’t in use. Then in the Advanced option field there was a category excluded. The problem with that is that on a multisite install every single site has different category ID’s, moreover every custom taxonomy term is stored where the categories are, so if a term has the same ID on a different site as another category on the other site it will exclude the posts/custom post types related to that category or term. I don’t know if there is ever going to be a possible fix for this, it’s a very complicated issue. So I don’t recommend excluding categories or taxonomies on multisite installs for now.

3. On the advanced option panel you can find “Description Field” option, where you can select which custom field would you like to show instead of the description. Or there is another field called “Advanced Description Field” just below that, where you can merge multiple custom fields as well, or keep the original description along with a custom field content, like: “{descriptionfield} {custom_field_name}”

4. There is an option on the Advanced Options panel: “Group by default text (%GROUP% is changed into the current cateogry/post type name)” – it’s almost at the bottom. So in your case the %GROUP% will be the custom post type name, and you can add text before it, after it, or just remove it if you want.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

I will check out 1 and 3 myself, thank you so much, don’t really know what I was up to with the custom field filter.

As for 4. I know – but it is exactly the %GROUP% variable I’d like to customize, so on the frontend it doesn’t say “Post” or “Page” as a group heading, but “Posts” or “Pages” or anything I’d like to appear as a name for a post type. So far it only spits out the singular name of the post type.

Thanks again, I hope you stay sane with that amount of support tickets coming in :).

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I see now.

4. I’ve marked the code with comments that you can edit for this. Open up the wp-content/ajax-search-pro/includes/search_content.class.php file and go to line 819. That’s the variable you need. I made a few lines of comments to help you out.

Well, I’m trying 😉

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

enoversum
    enoversum
    Participant

Will look into that later, will you make this an option for the backend settings (I know, getting crowded already ;))?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Well it would be awesome, but I don’t know what else I could add to that field, or how to change it. I mean the “%GROUP%” variable represents the custom post type name or category name, so anyone can change it to for example “Results from %GROUP%”. Should I create a separate box for the “page” as well? If you have an idea, I’m happy to hear it.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.