Suggestion: Exclude "hidden" field from tab-index to improve keyboard navigation

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Suggestion: Exclude "hidden" field from tab-index to improve keyboard navigation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bjarne Oldrup
    oldrup
    Participant

Hey, I hope you are well.

The search field has a secondary input field used for autocomplete. It’s normally not used, but accessible with keyboard navigation, giving some unwanted results.

Luckily, it’s easily fixed by adding the tabindex attribute to the element.

Quick demonstration screencast at https://www.loom.com/share/6432a3f752664194b1163297f791af5a

From MDN:

A negative value (usually tabindex=”-1″) means that the element is not reachable via sequential keyboard navigation, but could be focused with JavaScript or visually by clicking with the mouse. It’s mostly useful to create accessible widgets with JavaScript.

Note: the demo was made in the Lite edition, but I suppose it’s the same thing in Pro.

Thoughts?

Bjarne

Bjarne Oldrup
    oldrup
    Participant

Hey. I made the little addition to the php file, works perfectly. Obviously it will get overwritten at the next update. But as a proof of conecpt?
    Bjarne

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Bjarne,

I think we can add this, thank you for your suggestion. Your solution look perfect, we will stick with that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.