Taxonomies showing in search results despite being excluded

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Taxonomies showing in search results despite being excluded

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jjones1978
    jjones1978
    Participant

I have added exclude taxonomoies to the advnaced settings but those taxonomies still show in the search results.

The taxonomies are assoaicted with woocommerce products.
    The result shows the taxonomies with a count of associated products.
    I would like the taxonomie to not show in the results.

Any ideas?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

The exclusions on the advanced options panel are to exclude post type results in connection with the given taxonomies.

If you don’t want to display taxonomy terms as results at all, then make sure nothing is selected on the General Opions -> Sources 2 panel: https://i.imgur.com/jY2SOaJ.png

If you want to display taxonomy terms as results, but exclude some of them, you can do it on the same panel, by entering the term IDs you want to exclude: https://i.imgur.com/bfvBBZq.png

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

jjones1978
    jjones1978
    Participant

Ah yes that is useful but i have a problem following the taxonomy exclusions in that:
    We have products (woocommerce) that are associated with categories and a custom taxonomy called brands.

If we search for ‘LG’ for example, we show the LG products that are associated with a brand taxonomy but we also show the LG brand with a product count next to it.
    Excluding the LG brand by ID also excludes the products from the search results when all we want is to exclude the taxonomy count results if you know what i mean?

Screenshot attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I see what you need now. You want to search products based on the brand taxonomy, but not to return any taxonomy terms, just the products (?).

The configuration on the General Options -> Sources 2 panel does not affect how the plugin looks for products. In your case, you don’t need anything selected, nor enabled on that panel, as you don’t want terms back as results.

If you want to look for products with the associated taxonomy terms, there is two ways of doing that:
    1. By enabling the Search in terms? option on the General Options -> Sources panel: https://i.imgur.com/OVKfS1x.png
    For performance reasons this option will look in all terms and in all taxonomies related to products.

2. By using the index table engine. In this case you can choose which taxonomies to index alongside the product. This solution is a bit more difficult to configure, and was made mostly for huge databases, where it is harder to get precise results.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

jjones1978
    jjones1978
    Participant

HI there,
    I think I get what you mean but I should try and be even clearer to see if it’s even possible!

We have products which are assigned to a standard category – in this case, things like audio or power.
    We then have brand taxonomies like Urbanista or Xquisit, the brand names in essence.

We have 2 types of brand, one that is an owned brand and so we have a brand page for these. Other brands like samsung are know as partner brands. These ones do not have brand pages.

In the search results therefore, we would want products to show in the results for urbanista, we would want a category name with a product count for products in each relevant category and we would want the brand name with the product count as well. We are happy to have the brand name for urbanista with a link as we have a page for urbanista.

On the other hand, when searching for samsung, we would like to show the samsung products (or products with samsung in title and description), categories with count of products but NOT the samsung brand taxonomy with product count as we do not want to link to a brand page for samsung.

In essence, we want to differentiate between different brand taxonomies as to whether we want to show the brand result with count.

Can this be done?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Oh, okay, I think I understand now. You need both products and taxonomy terms as results (brands), but not some of the brands. Based on your screenshot, your configuration is okay, and to exclude some brands, you will have to use the box on the General Options -> Sources 2 panel: https://imgur.com/bfvBBZq

It’s less convenient, as you need to type in the brand IDs, but this will not affect the product results in any way, only the taxonomy term results.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.